Motoplat Red Coil Testing

tael

Having some issues getting my cota 247 to run, got a spark but no joy yet. Will be putting a new sparkplug in as soon as I can get to a shop (B8HS i believe, though its currently fitted with a BR6HS resistor plug), but in the meantime checking other issues, timing looks about right so thought i'd check the coil

Its got a red HT lead motoplat and with a bit of searching found this site, (http://www.yankeetwin.com/motoplat.html) that states the resistance across it should measure between 7000-9000 ohms. Mine measures 12,150 every time. does this indicate that its snafu and i'll need to locate another?

google motoplat UK They have some good info and Steve Hardaker is sharp as they come, hard working and honest. He is actually in Spain, but does really good work in this field. His web site has great tech tips. I can't say if those readings are going to cause no spark, but the early Cota 247should have point type ignition, so another coil from anything from a Maico to a Bultaco should make the bike run with points that are working properly and a fresh condenser that is good. I'd be replacing the points and condenser and setting the timing first, then look at replacing other components.

Use the correct puller, remove the flywheel washer before using puller. Try to use thin rosin core solder on the condenser if soldering is required. Get the wires bundled together neatly and perform the solder job quickly so as not to heat the new condenser anymore than is absolutely needed. (assuming this is the soldered on type of condenser setup) I have ruined a new condenser trying to solder the wires on with the wrong type of solder, thus overheating the delicate internals of the new condenser. That's all that springs to mind at the moment.

• 5 months later...