Carb Setup Advise

benj

please can someone tell me if this is correct as when i fitted it back on its ok but if you put the bike on its stand it comes out the overflow pipe (not breather), it doesnt leak when leant to the right only te left, any suggestions would be apreciated. 23102008210.jpg

Edited by benj

Ben, that float tang looks seriously bent? heres a link to what it should look like if youve got a Mikuni

Pic

scroll down untill you get to the pictures, looks to me as if the tangs have been bent upwards to get the float height instead of the small central tab, I would order a new plate and set it right

Edited by The Addict

thanks very much for your help, i can now see whats wrong, the prongs were bent like that on purchase, looks like the central tiny lip that touches the fuel stopper is the part which is adjusted and the tongs stay straight, no wonder its drinking like a fish.

Ben, when you bend the small tab on the new plate be real carefull not to bend the tangs themselves by doing it, from what i remember i laid the plate on a flat surface so they couldnt be moved and pushed the tab with a screw driver to bend it. The new height for the tangs are shown in my picture

Gday, run stock jets. Make sure the exhaust is properly clean, search around in here there is heaps written on it. Also, if you still have fuel leaking issues after sorting out all the above, check there is no wear on the needle itself - if you can see a " ring" worn into the taper you will need to replace this part as it will not close off properly.

PS - the "upright" tang on your float arm is also bent considerably - it should be virtually at 90 degrees to the rest of the arm. This allows the flaot to drop and fill the carb correctly! Check it out as well.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork

cheers mate, ive straightened the upright tab and the tongs and i'll try it tomorrow now its set correctly, the needle doesnt seem to have a mark on it but that was something i'd thought of, i didnt buy the bike new so i've no idea if theyre stock jets or not, the pilot says 30 or 03 and the main is 150 or 051.