Montesa 315 Newboy In Town

paulmiddlehurst

Hello all,

Just bought a Montesa 315 04 to return to bikes after a 30 year break (I'm 49 and in early crisis)!

Now I wouldn't say I've been done but the bike has some issues and I could do with help in these early days - it's not as easy as I thought it was going to be and I'm a bit crestfallen!

I guess these are quite usual problems but the clutch only just qualifies to be called a clutch and the bike came without User/Service manuals.

Any pointers would be very gratefully received

Hiya

This is a usual problem for the Mont 315R, first thing I would do is change the gearbox oil so you know its new, then change every 5 or so rides, dependant upon what you are doing... the clutch wont work until the engine is warm so I always fire it up, give it about 3 - 5 mins tickover / light revving without choke, then push myself forward and pop into gear without the clutch, make sure you have some space run around with the clutch pulled in, and apply gentle front brake until the clutch 'pops' and begins to work, it should free up pretty quickly... if the bike creeps forwards after it is up to temp, use the adjuster on the lever to give a little more travel... if it still creeps, back to the beginning of the post... change the oil...

I tend to find the clutch begins to drag a little when the oil requires changing. If it's really bad at the moment, it may be worth having the clutch plates out , which will mean a half hour with the spanners.

Dunno how mechanical you are, but with a few basic tools... a 8mm and 10mm socket / spanner, I believe you will be able to get the clutch plates in your hand.

Drop me a PM if you need further guidance, I may have a manual for sale for the mont, but it'll be a 2002 copy but it's the same bike...

A good upgrade for the mont is a set of Boysen Reeds, which can be a pain in the rear to fit, but not too bad with a little patience. it will clear up the bike throughout the rev range and make it as crisp as it should be, they are about

Hiya

This is a usual problem for the Mont 315R, first thing I would do is change the gearbox oil so you know its new, then change every 5 or so rides, dependant upon what you are doing... the clutch wont work until the engine is warm so I always fire it up, give it about 3 - 5 mins tickover / light revving without choke, then push myself forward and pop into gear without the clutch, make sure you have some space run around with the clutch pulled in, and apply gentle front brake until the clutch 'pops' and begins to work, it should free up pretty quickly... if the bike creeps forwards after it is up to temp, use the adjuster on the lever to give a little more travel... if it still creeps, back to the beginning of the post... change the oil...

I tend to find the clutch begins to drag a little when the oil requires changing. If it's really bad at the moment, it may be worth having the clutch plates out , which will mean a half hour with the spanners.

Dunno how mechanical you are, but with a few basic tools... a 8mm and 10mm socket / spanner, I believe you will be able to get the clutch plates in your hand.

Drop me a PM if you need further guidance, I may have a manual for sale for the mont, but it'll be a 2002 copy but it's the same bike...

A good upgrade for the mont is a set of Boysen Reeds, which can be a pain in the rear to fit, but not too bad with a little patience. it will clear up the bike throughout the rev range and make it as crisp as it should be, they are about

If you have a look through the montesa forum there are quite a few discussions on the best oil to use in the 315. My recommendation is use the honda/mont recommended oil, ELF HTX740. If the rest of the clutch is ok (plates not badly worn or warped, springs the right length, master and slave cylinder seals and bores ok and it's adjusted at the lever correctly) there should be no drama selecting a gear when cold. also use semi synthetic 2 stroke oil. Fully synthetic wont burn off properly in relatively low revving trials engines which can then clog everything up with black oily deposits. Hope you get the bike sorted. :unsure: