New Ty175 Owner

nicbrrghs

Which oil are you talking about changing? Fork oil and primary side oil, book calls for standard 10/30. I think you will find a lot of folks use ATF in both, lets see what comments are posted here. Trans is just standard gear oil. I would suggest a good synthetic for mix oil (this came after books on bike were printed). You will see long arguments on all 2 cycle sites on what the mix ratio should be - I go by what the oil mfg recommends.

Great bike, have fun with it.

Alan

I use synthetic 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 50:1 in my sons ty175 and my bikes and have had no problems, The manufacture with say something like 20:1. This was ok back in the day, but oils have come a long way since 30 years ago, so 50:1 is fine. Some people use 70:1 or even 100:1, but I personally stick with 50:1

If your interested here are some of the things you can do to it.

The best things that we did are, fit the Miller footrest kit, drop the forks so they are flush with top of the yokes, fit 14" shocks and a set of 5.5 or 6" Renthal bars, If you do this then it transforms the riding position and the handling.

If you have deep pockets you could always add :-

Miller seat tank unit

full Wes exhuast

decent tyres

open up the air box a little

electronic ignition

200cc conversion

the list goes on and on

Edited by majesty320

If your interested here are some of the things you can do to it.

The best things that we did are, fit the Miller footrest kit, drop the forks so they are flush with top of the yokes, fit 14" shocks and a set of 5.5 or 6" Renthal bars, If you do this then it transforms the riding position and the handling.

I have to disagree about sliding TY175 forks down flush. Whatever shockie length, footpeg location or handlebar rise, sliding the forks tubes down flush with the top clamp might improve the ground clearance but it makes the steering in sections worse, not better.

Can I have a matter of opinion to, my fork tubes are set 18mm above the top yoke and have found them to be much better than flush. The bike tended to rear up at the tops of hill sections and there was more flexing in the forks when flush. Still a crap Trials rider but I do enjoy it none the less.

Can I have a matter of opinion to, my fork tubes are set 18mm above the top yoke and have found them to be much better than flush. The bike tended to rear up at the tops of hill sections and there was more flexing in the forks when flush. Still a crap Trials rider but I do enjoy it none the less.

I have a TY250 which has the forks sticking out 20mm above the top of the yokes. With 1" longer shocks on the rear it is much nicer to ride, and steers beautifully.

I tried my forks flush, it was unrideable, tried longer rear shocks also unrideable. Went back to standard length shocks 15mm fork sticking through the yolk feels so much better.

Tried Miller footrests and brackets, didnt like them went back to the standard rests but modified the brackets so they are much lower and about an inch further back, feels much better.

Try everything, play around and see what feels best for you. I went out one day just to practise a tricky river/stream section that gets used a bit on local trials. Took some tools with me and played around with the fork hight till it felt good going through the section.

They were great bikes, still are, you can have loads of fun, parts are cheap and easy to obtain, and providing you dont do anything really stupid with them you'll get back what you paid for it months or years later.

nicbrrghs, 4th from the top should be ok but its up to you to play around with the settings and the 1 and 1/2 turns out on the pilot slow run screw is only a start point.

and providing you dont do anything really stupid with them you'll get back what you paid for it months or years later.

Scott its too late gone way past that point about a year ago