Eastern Us Series

alan bechard

Barry Florin of the FTA forwarded the thought last year, and it has probably been thought of in the past,,,, But here it is again, and now is the time to put it in place for the 05 season.

Let's put together an East coast US series.

Lets string it together from well established club events that are popular and well attended and have good facilities.

Let's work to get some sponsorship in place for it to help it, and those events along.

With some cooperation, and a minimum of adjustment on very few folks parts, I believe we could do it readily.

The goal would be to assit the folks that are trying to make the transition from club level rider to National level rider a bit easier, while increasing prestige and recognition for our sport. I also believe it will improve the sport for folks that would not normally make the national trips, to ride with groups outside their normal clubs. It would also give clubs that are trying to develop the opportunity in outyears, to host a larger level of event, without the obligation of hosting a National.

The thought would be,,,

Lets pick several excellent East coast events, These come to my mind,

FTA Fun in the Sun

STRA 58 K trials at TTC

TI Dixie Cup or Stoney Lonesome (or both)

Club? The Baraboo event

We would need at least one event from the NE area, could someone up there suggest one please?

We would need some standardized classes.

I would think that Pro, Expert and Advanced would be what I would shoot for, but I am sure there will be differences of opinion on that subject.

We would need someone to track the scores etc. I think I know someone that would be willing to do that.

We would need awards or prizes to make it something to shoot for other than the title, we need to look outside the Trials Community and not deplete stretched resources to accomplish this.

We would need to publisize it so that folks know what is going on. Craig? This has always been a weak point in the trials community.

So?????

Another silly idea? Or something that may help to push our sport forward?

Your opinions appreciated and respected.

Just back up after the Canes, I still would like to see something like this happen, within reasonable travel distance for all of us! Our FIS this year will be at Hard Rock Cycle Park in Ocala on Feb 26-27, an incredible Trials location for Florida.

Let me know if we can do it this year!

Barry

Judging from the overwhelming response that I see to these messages and the folks I have spoken with, I doubt that it will occur in the 05 season.

Backing down a level,,,,

Maybe for the 05 season, if we could get all the clubs that would be likely to participate, to at least agree on the common names for classes, then in 06 we could launch a series.

I will propose it in a separate post, but we need to get to common classes.

I would put forward that the classes should be

Novice

Intermediate

Sportsman

Advanced

Expert

Pro

I would put forth that most clubs are already running 6 classes of one sort or another.

Most clubs run several of these classes already.

Is it something that could happen?

Up here in Michigan, we have the following classes:

Youth

Beginner

Novice

Intermediate

Senior (over 40 yrs old, rides the intermediate lines)

Sportsman

Advanced

Expert

I have noticed in Michigan trials that there is a big jump between Novice and Intermediate. Many times the Novice lines are too easy and the Intermediate lines are too hard. People in the Novice class are sometimes scared to switch to Intermediate due to the difficulty differences.

I think there are too many classes and some consolidation would help. I would like to see the Beginner class get more challenging (like using some Novice lines once in a while). I would now call them Novice and get rid of Beginner class. To me, a novice is a beginner in any sport. Combine the current Novice and Intermediate classes and decrease the difficulty slightly. I would call them Intermediate. Keep Sportmans as the bridge between Intermediate and Advanced. Expert would remain the same. We don't have a Pro class, even though some of our Expert riders are sponsored. I guess you could call them Expert or Pro. There's only a handful, so having two classes doesn't make sense to me.

Just me thoughts...

Matt

Hmmmm, the problem with only writing half of what you think (me)

A club should, would, could still have those other classes that fit them..

Beginer, Youth, Youth A, Youth B, Open, Womens, Vintage, Senior, Senior Advanced, Exhibition, heck, whatever floats their boat. These classes (except youth), generally ride one of the other lines already.

But I would like to see the "core" classes all called the same things in the same order of severity.

Some folks Intermediate will be harder than others, sometimes we just flat out miss as trialsmasters in setting the sections. but the important point is that Novice is the starting point, then Intermediate is harder, etc. it could really be 1-6 with 1 being the easiest and class 6 the hardest, or vice versa. The point being, that if we could standardize, then it would assist in cross club promotions.

Very few clubs have true "pros" I believe there are only what 10 to 15 in the US? But we should have a class, that reflects the NATC leadership in determining the naming of the top class. We may or may not use it, but it should be the top class that an orginisation attempts to run.

Using your example Matt,

Youth run their own class / trials

Beginner Novice

Novice Intermediate

Intermediate Sportsman

Sportsman Advanced

Advanced Expert

Expert Pro

Senior would still be a "club" class, and would ride whatever line you guys or probably the seniors felt was appropriate.

Your top guys would be called "Pro" and not experts, but they would still be the top end of your group, and the Trialsmasters would set the sections to their level

I think we are saying pretty much the same thing.

Anyway, putting it out there as an idea that I hope some clubs will adopt.

I do not see a downside in it, and I believe that it will aid in promoting interclub competition.

Thanks for taking the time to consider it.

:D My club is planning on a national again next year here in VT ,, But that said, we also are considering trying to start a North East Regional Series

to include Ny D-4 / D-3(3d), Pa group , and NETA Three two day events

the beauty would be These clubs can also count the points toward there Local Championships as well .. I would like to speak to Representitives from each group

we would like to do ours on memorial day weekend That way the boys from pa and western ny will be able to have a holiday to get home .

Our Plans For the national are again Labor Day Weekend..

Ron Commo jr