Pro Suspension Settings

postmanpat

Hi,i've just bought an '04 250 Pro,can anyone tell me the factory settings for front and rear suspension,i want to start from scratch,as i've never had a Gasser before.Cheers

Suspension settings are kinda like haircuts, they are personal and specific and "factory settings" are generally set in the middle range for shipping. For the 04' forks, you might set the compression on full-out and rebound on full-in, which seems to work for most riders. A lot of riders like the shock set at the softest setting as they like it "springy". Try different settings on the same practice section to find out what you like. Be aware that most external suspension adjustments usually affect the "high speed" aspect of damping (the "speed" refers to the shock shaft and cartridge rod speed, not how fast the bike is going) and the low speed damping is set by the configuration of the shim stack on the piston ("shim stacks" are a set of special washers, stacked in such a way as to regulate oil flow inside the shock and fork cartridge piston) and bouncing up and down on the driveway will not generally show any felt difference in the settings.

On all suspension adjusters, ALWAYS bottom them out LIGHTLY, then back them out to the desired setting. They are actually quite delicate and it is not uncommon for riders to damage them by screwing them in tightly or snapping them off.

Fork and shock spring pre-load and fork oil level are other ways to adjust the suspension.

Jon