Electrex Ignition For Villiers.

eugheugh

Hi all

I have just fitted an Electrex ignition system to my Greeves Scottish and discovered that it isn't possible to position the stator plate in the position that corresponds to the instructions - to time it to fire 10 degree BTDC, and I would have to drill new holes in the stator plate to achieve this setting. Has anyone else come across this problem ?. Incidentally, I can position the stator to 16 degrees BTDC (as per original system).

Hi all

I have just fitted an Electrex ignition system to my Greeves Scottish and discovered that it isn't possible to position the stator plate in the position that corresponds to the instructions - to time it to fire 10 degree BTDC, and I would have to drill new holes in the stator plate to achieve this setting. Has anyone else come across this problem ?. Incidentally, I can position the stator to 16 degrees BTDC (as per original system).

Came across this site, might be of some use.

http://www.greevesmotorcyclesltd.com/ei.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've been in touch with Electrex who are baffled by the situation. The gearbox has got to come out as it is leaking like a sieve and I've only got two gears when I prod the gearchange lever, so I'm separating it from the engine and taking it to the Telford show so that they can have a look at the timing. Should have stuck to Japanese bikes in the first place-eh!

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've been in touch with Electrex who are baffled by the situation. The gearbox has got to come out as it is leaking like a sieve and I've only got two gears when I prod the gearchange lever, so I'm separating it from the engine and taking it to the Telford show so that they can have a look at the timing. Should have stuck to Japanese bikes in the first place-eh!

British bikes are a love hate kind of relationship.

• 3 months later...

Electrex ignition sorted in the end and enjoying my first ride on the bike in 30 years albeit with a fuel tank borrowed from the lawn mower!. To update on this- I also had some hassles with the captive nut on the Electrex rotor bottoming out of the 9E cranks before it was tight on the taper (Not a fluke as I tried three separate 9E cranks). The solution was to get Electrex to send me a captive nut with a chamfer on the inside face. I now just need a steel fuel tank to finish the job. Does anyone know the whereabouts of a 1959 Greeves Scottish tank - dented or otherwise ?.