290 Kicking Back

albert

A friend of mine is going to try a carb off an 08 as an easy thing to try, then move onto base gaskets. I have a hunch this bike is on its second kick start,i spoke to the previous owner who said it has done it since new.

The timing is still one thing that needs to be gauged propperly as it has been retarded before i got the bike. Its not to clear where std is due to there are several marks on the stator plate. Although timing has been tried at different settings and still kicked back.

copemech Posted Yesterday, 07:23 PM

It was cold here today, but mine started on the 4th kick, in the tennis shoes! rolleyes.gif

Cold? did it get down to a chilly 60F?

:thumbup:

Starting to sound like a complete tear down is the only way to discover the problem.

Hi

Had an 07 that used to kick back, and was really bad starting when left, the both were caused by overfuelling.

As a rule I found turning off the petrol and leaving the bike running until it would start pulsing [running out of fuel] then hitting the killswitch, to start turn petrol on full choke 1st or 2nd kick away she was, no kickback. Fuel left on seemed to be flooding it.

I moved the stator 5mm back soften power dramaticaly and make the kickstarting easier. I'm sure there is a way of checking the timing on the Sherco website under Waynes help, can't really add to that as have changed camps and now have a 4rt.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Cold? did it get down to a chilly 60F?

;)

Starting to sound like a complete tear down is the only way to discover the problem.

They said it was 17f at the trials camp last night and this morning.

I would not know, as I slept in! That is just too cold for me! :thumbup: I had a bad experience once, when all the beer I had drunk froze on the ground just outside the trailer door!

Here is the basic referance pic!Timing ref

It illustrates a setting 4mm counter of the std setting at the right leading edge of the casting web. You can see the factory mark on the plate.

And you may judge how things should basically look, so without even any measures, you can judge by eye within a mm or two, whick is generally sufficient.

I do not run them more than about 6mm slow of the factory setting, as they seem to run awkwardly and may develop other troubles. B)

Edited by copemech

copemech Posted Yesterday, 09:28 PM

They said it was 17f at the trials camp last night and this morning.

I would not know, as I slept in! That is just too cold for me! rolleyes.gif I had a bad experience once, when all the beer I had drunk froze on the ground just outside the trailer door!

Going skating on the yellow ice. :thumbup:

When i got the bike it did have a full kick,its because of the kicking back the problem with the kick start has come about. It has lost some of its stroke when you kick it, and if you bring your foot up fast and go for another fast kick its just slips. The stator has apparently been checked and repaired,sparks same place every time? A friend of mine has a 08 290 and kicks it gently,2nd or 3rd kick it starts. Do 250's kick back? When i kick it over it seems to have a lot of compression.

A worry i have is that if i sort the kickstart problem and it still kicks back,it will damage it again. Another idea was to swap stators with my friends 08,also check timing with a strobe.

hi mate mine does all the things u describe.... kicking back major bangs through misfire if doesnt start?? slips gears on second kick! quirks of a sherco i guess :thumbup: i have an 08 250..... do what B40 bloke says engage kick start gear and kick it harder!!! bye j:)

• 12 years later...