290 Kicking Back

albert

HI, I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN MENTIONED BEFORE,BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANY MORE INFO ON WHY ITS DOING IT? THE BIKE IS AN 07 290,I HAD THE ELECTRICS CHECKED AND A FAULT WAS FOUND. THIS WAS REPAIRED APPARENTLY, THE BIKE STILL KICKS BACK AND WHEN FULLY RETARDED IT DOES SEEM TO STOP KICKING BACK. THE TIMING WAS ADVANCED SLIGHTLY AND IT STILL KICKS BACK BUT NOT AS MUCH. ALSO AFTER THE BIKE GETS UP TO TEMP,IF STOPED AND LEFT FOR A WHILE IT TAKES A WHILE TO START.

ANY IDEAS? CHEERS.

As I have no way of experiencing what you are describing, all I can tell you as a baseline is that most all bikes will offer some kickback at times, as they all normally fire before TDC. If you are a bit limp on the boot, you may expect it!

I run the 2.9 about 5-6mm slow(counter) on the backing plate from the stock tick mark, never fully retarded. Seems to work fine and minimize the kickback.

Other things like good fuel and sparkies come to mind, what are you running?

:thumbup:

If you are a bit limp on the boot, you may expect it!

Don't think he's Gay Copemech, :thumbup: but I do agree with your comments though as I hate starting mine when wearing normal shoes as it always kicks back when cold. For some reason when I wear my riding boots then kickback is vastly reduced.

I also run mine 5mm retarded as well and it has reduced the kickback, softened the power and illiminated the pinking that I was experiencing.

Only downside is that the first few inches of the exhaust chrome pipe is looking like a bit gold in colour now.

I have tried to kick it over with a good hoof and it is pretty much the same as a slow push with a good kick at the end of the stroke,if that makes sense and doesn't sound too gay. The only problem now is the kickstart is slightly bent and something sounds stripped in the kickstart guts,this has been caused by it kicking back hard. I was wanting to sort the kick back problem before the stripped problem. Iam still able to kick it the same ,it only slips when it kicks back.

I have tried the timing in different positions and it did seem better the more it was retarded.From getting the bike it has kicked back a lot, only seems to be when you first start it. I have used texaco unleaded, iam going to put a fresh plug in it and try the timing as suggested. Don't know if i have explained the problem at all ,any advice will be welcome.

Cheers.

Sherco had a bad batch of kickstarts at one time, missed heat treat or something.

can't remember what year, but that may be why it is bent.

The stripped part sounds really bad.

I have heard that a stripped flywheel key will allow the bike to run in reverse, is it possible that it may cause tremendous kickback?

Or have I got my head in the snow? :thumbup:

The kick back is NASTY! I only try to start it with boots on and a safety net. The noise is like cogs slipping, and comes from the kickstart side. I was wondering if the kickback is anything to do with compression?

Might it be that the problem is your kickstarter and cogs and that the kickback is only a symptom of this. I know that if I was not getting a full swing on my bike then it would definetly kickback on me every time without question. Try to get the kickstarter and cogs sorted out first, then if you still have a problem maybe look at woodruff key or even a faulty stator plate.

When i got the bike it did have a full kick,its because of the kicking back the problem with the kick start has come about. It has lost some of its stroke when you kick it, and if you bring your foot up fast and go for another fast kick its just slips. The stator has apparently been checked and repaired,sparks same place every time? A friend of mine has a 08 290 and kicks it gently,2nd or 3rd kick it starts. Do 250's kick back? When i kick it over it seems to have a lot of compression.

A worry i have is that if i sort the kickstart problem and it still kicks back,it will damage it again. Another idea was to swap stators with my friends 08,also check timing with a strobe.

When i got the bike it did have a full kick,its because of the kicking back the problem with the kick start has come about. It has lost some of its stroke when you kick it, and if you bring your foot up fast and go for another fast kick its just slips. The stator has apparently been checked and repaired,sparks same place every time? A friend of mine has a 08 290 and kicks it gently,2nd or 3rd kick it starts. Do 250's kick back? When i kick it over it seems to have a lot of compression.

A worry i have is that if i sort the kickstart problem and it still kicks back,it will damage it again. Another idea was to swap stators with my friends 08,also check timing with a strobe.

I try to engage the starter gears befor kicking it over, thinking being that its easier on the brive train.

Tried a new plug first,no better. Then played around with the timing, made no difference maybe slightly better when retarded. I have taken it to the doctors now ,failing that do sherco have a crusher like honda!

Well , seems this may be the type of stuff neccessary to reslove the issue, coil pack first.

What year is the bike?

Its an 07,would extra base gaskets be worth a try?Different carb?

Extra base gaskets up to two additional, will soften the power a bit and reduce the compression a bit as well. I have nver done it, never need to really.

Stock carb is fine.

Seems I recall there were a few soft kickstart levers in a batch. Really makes things awkward when bent, making proper kicking very difficult.

I would be interisted in the evaluation of your knowledgable friend or dealer, just to rate how out of wack this thing really is.

There is really little difference in starting a 250, either. I have had both.

It was cold here today, but mine started on the 4th kick, in the tennis shoes! :thumbup: