Sherco Brakes

copemech

As brakes are always a touchy subject, I can only comment on my own behalf on this topic! But you see, due to comments and recommendations made on this forum by certain other riders much more spastic and somtimes more disorientated than me, I did decide to give the "Braking" pads a try on the front!

The Noise alone from the stock Galfers had become an issue on this latter bike with the wavey rotors by the company, Braking!

As such, my front brake had become "the horn" of such, honk , honk! Just touch it-honk! Yet the stopping strong, and I have often said "if they ain't making noise, they arent right!" When right, the doo stop! And NOW! Specially dry!

Then came the topic of recovery when wet! Well, I admit this has not been such an issue with me, as Texas is more dry and we generally tend not to just plow through a mudhole to see what happens, although it has been done, the results are somewhat predictable and the riders tent not to like it!

When I started to put these things together though, it started to make sense!

Firstly, the pads were made by the same folks who made the friggin rotors on the bike!

Secondly, claimed less noise problems!

Thirdly , claimed better water recovery!

Well, I decided this could not be all bad and decided to try them. So they were sent from a supplier in the UK, and recieved here within the week. Good show there I think!

Put them on the following day and went out on the drive and street to try them and they were soft as predicted! Not my first rodeo on this sort of thing you see! Lets heat them up a bit! The instructions actually tel you to do 50 stops to seat them! But you see, there has to be reasonability to this! As you do not really want to overheat things! Thermal cycling is important as well! Sometimes you can rush it, and i did try a bit witha few hard stops and a quick quenching of the rotor with water to steam things off, yet no joy! The things simply would not stop quickly!

I ran them through cycles for several days in my area round the house, up the street , in the back and such, and things did start coming together, took a while!

Best thing was when I was best able to do a good nosie from 30-40 mph for a long steady progressive stop. Never been able to do this on this bike as the front was just too grabbie for me and would quickly pitch you on your head! Suddenly more progressive and managable! Still would not stop on a dime, took two fingers to pinch it down for a hard stop! Time went on, and I adjusted, a few more rides about the practice area in the rear of the house and things started to come together! I started to stop! Nosyes off the curb and such, with a little flick! On the spot! One finger again, yet still good progression and less noise! A plus! Do still squeal and moan a bit, yet not as before! It will stop now!

More later!

Edited by copemech

If you want guaranteed better braking no matter what pads you have , without noise, put a gas gas disc on. I stole my sons off his GG 50 and he isn't getting it back.

It's non floating but I believe the 09 sherco has the floating type. I'm thinking of stealing his rear disc as well.

I just put new galfers on the back after a set of SBS and I'm disappointed, but I think they are better in the wet and like you cope there's not much mud here either.

Does anyone know of a really good grabby brake pad.

If you want guaranteed better braking no matter what pads you have , without noise, put a gas gas disc on. I stole my sons off his GG 50 and he isn't getting it back.

It's non floating but I believe the 09 sherco has the floating type. I'm thinking of stealing his rear disc as well.

I just put new galfers on the back after a set of SBS and I'm disappointed, but I think they are better in the wet and like you cope there's not much mud here either.

Does anyone know of a really good grabby brake pad.

............................well, this is interesting ...maybetheres an answer to all this noise!..although, the bears know when I'm comming if I go too deeply into the woods

can someone explain to me what this concept of ''floating'' disc is all about ??I have a 06..are my brakes floating ???..............massso

Well, you see as a continuance here, I am admittadly way too cheap to spring for new rotors or such over just a minor noise issue!

Seems to me that if the Galfer pads are right, they can be too grabby dry! And I have told many to do the 4-5 good hard stop thing from speed, then douse with fresh water thing, which really brings them up after cooling and drying. Mine have always been top notch, yet almost too sensitive as stated! Other than the noisey front, I never complained untill it did get rather bad...

Thusly, I have ordered the rears set as well, to improve the feel and feedback of the touchy rear, as once again and as many well know, the rear lockup on a slippry downhill can be critical and really touchy! Little to no feedback throuth the boot at best!

God knows , I have done a few out of control muddy slides just trying to keep the rear in the rear and visavie!

Almost as though in a muddy trial you would be better off spraying the rear disk down with WD40 before the trial, just to keep some feel in it!

Touch, touch, must be careful with that, you know! When it does rain here, things seem to turn to pure grease!

I see Addy did chime in on this, as I have no idea how he manages to wear out pads like that! Must be the dirt and mud and such taking its toll!

As here in the mainly dry, I could go for years without replacing them for wear! Touch , touch! :wub: