New Rules Any Good?

timp

we ran our centre trial at the weekend and while it was nice to tell the observers there was a new set of rules that would be easier, which for most of our observers who i'ld say weren't 100% au fait with "stop with penalties". the section i did wasn't particularly bunny hoppy, so there was no excessive time wasting, but can see how you could get it, and thus the point above about a rider who cleans a section non stop, isn't rewarded as much as a rider who took a week to hop though. i don't profess to know the answer, but i guess this topic will rear it's head again in a few years .....

I think the previous response answers the question.

It is easier for observers which will hopefully help to attract new observers or help keep existing ones. This is best for everyone in the longrun

As for taking ages in a section, I think this will be very very rare.

If a rider is in a section for to long p*ssing about and not making an attempt, the other riders watching or in the queue or the observer will let the rider know what they think and move them along.

Also using the 'stop' rule does not have to be about trick riding, anyone can stop, balance, check where they want to go and set off again - why should you be penalised for that??

Ultimately a rider riding no stop rules can just as easily spend ages in a section if they are stuck and dabbing/pushing their way through a section so should they get a 5?

So long as a rider is making a valid attempt there should be no problems with the easier to run, better all round 'stop' rule being used.

As I said before if a rider wants to ride a section non stop that should be entirely their choice, the same as it is if they want to stop, balance, check and go or if they feel the need to stop and trick ride.

We lost several top UK riders in the British Championship for several years due to the stupid no stop ruling, as a result we probably lost the appeal to non riders wanting to go and watch Dougie and co in a BTC event. How many people have you spoken to and said 'I ride trials' to get the response 'Oh, like Dougie Lampkin?, I saw him on Eurosport'

Now imagine if that person found out a BTC event was on local to them, free to spectate and Dougie was riding - I expect more often than not they would possibly go and watch and possibly be keen to take up our relatively cheap sport.

Can the UK trials scene afford this again given the current economic situation?

Just my two pence worth on my thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first stop allowed Trial on Sunday :thumbup: went exactly as it has been in the past, non of the sections were any tighter and I didnt see anymore stopping than before. I actually rode it as stop is a one, forgot the new rules most of the time and on a couple of hop parts had to really say to myself "you can stop if you need too".

Well done to Bewdley MCC for a great trial and very well marked out sections considering the possible weather change we were having. Be nice if any of the very hardy and brave observers at the trial can post how they found the new rules.

Got my acu handbook yesterday and thought there would be a disscussion on here somewhere.

The real answer (my own humble opinion) is the course plotters,its up to them not to make the sections any tighter, I think that had a major impact on trials last time it happened .

"que the music" When i was a lad i used to do wessex centre events with road work on a fantic 200 (about 80/82) and there would be 60 to 80 riders regularly competing.

When the first of the hotties started messing about instead of riding , the sections became harder for the four or five guys that could ride them,and impossible for everone else, and within a couple of years the entrys went down to about 15/20.

So please section plotters think of the ordinary guy ,nowadays with the multi route trials it may not be as big a problem , The a route guys can have it as hard as they like.. ;)

The real answer (my own humble opinion) is the course plotters,its up to them not to make the sections any tighter, I think that had a major impact on trials last time it happened .

So please section plotters think of the ordinary guy ,nowadays with the multi route trials it may not be as big a problem , The a route guys can have it as hard as they like..

Yep, I fully agree with you on your first point.

But you also need to cater for your regulars, even with three routes, it's still tempting to make the hard route too hard for the majority. This forces the lesser riders down a route where they find it too easy. The next trial you make the route down a little harder to take marks from those who moved down and a vicious circle begins.

To some extent this is always going to happen, but it's a mistake to set out the hard route for the best rider and make it too hard. You still need an enjoyable mixture for all.

I think the new rules are really good. Thank goodness we've now just got two sets of rules!