Help Please On Non Starting Problem

doogzie

Hi everyone I haven't looked in for ages in fact since May last year.

I have been getting more and more frustrated with my bike. It sits for ages starts no problem but then once I am up on the hill it won't start and I spend all day pushing it home.

I have stripped the carb and emptied the tank changed the filters and the plug still it won't keep running reliabily and is hopless at starting again. I FIND IT SO UNRELIABLE THAT i TEND NOT TO To (sorry cap locks) take it out anymore cos it will just break down.

Does this 1996 model have a condenser or are they electronic ignition help please before I give up for good.

Cheers Doogzie.

Hi everyone I haven't looked in for ages in fact since May last year.

I have been getting more and more frustrated with my bike. It sits for ages starts no problem but then once I am up on the hill it won't start and I spend all day pushing it home.

I have stripped the carb and emptied the tank changed the filters and the plug still it won't keep running reliabily and is hopless at starting again. I FIND IT SO UNRELIABLE THAT i TEND NOT TO To (sorry cap locks) take it out anymore cos it will just break down.

Does this 1996 model have a condenser or are they electronic ignition help please before I give up for good.

Cheers Doogzie.

Doogzie,

You probably have the Ducati Analog CDI system in your bike (no points, it's electronic) and a copy of the system diagram is at: http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Duc94to96.jpg if you want to test the system components with a meter. Sometimes, electrical components will test fine when cold, but will malfunction with heat. Since your bike has probably had 13 years of use, you might also want to check the stator plate area for corrosion.

Make sure the fuel tank vent is working correctly and you have cleaned and re-tightened all the grounding wires and cleaned and re-connected all the electrical connections (pay attention to the kill switch and plug cap, sometimes taking off the cap, cutting about 10mm off the end and re-connecting it works).

It also may be fuel related (hense checking the tank vent) so I'd see if the petcock is flowing fuel well when in the "on" position and make sure the carb floats are not snagged and the float valve is flowing fuel.

Try these to start and I'm sure others will have some good suggestions also.

Jon

Gday Doogzie,

It may be easier to do a few simple checks first - Ride the bike around close to the trailer until it gets hot and stops. Immediately check to see if you have spark at the plug. It would make it easier if you buy a generic spark tester from any car parts place but its not vital. If you still have spark obviously that side of things is OK. If not - ignition system checks coming up. The next check will be to see if you have fuel in the carb. The easiest way to check this is to open the drain screw in the float chamber at the bottom of the carb and see if fuel comes out. If it does you have a fuel supply still, if not it is starving for some reason as described above by Jon. This will give you a starting point to work from and save needless spannering!

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Cheers,

Stork