Enfield Crusader Trials

gregrsv

Hello all

This is my first post on the classic part of the forum , to introduce , im from perthshire in scotland , been away from competing for about 10 yrs but , got a bike last year and started again ,

Ive had a 250 crusader that i rebuilt to std condition a few years ago , i have used it on the hill a few times but its quite a bit more clumsy than a b40 , and ive had a shot of a bullet that seemed to be a lot better balanced and sprung better.

I'd like to have a go at the pre-65 trials and if any one had any pointers on the preparation of the crusader to improve it , some have said to put a bullet motor in it , but i have seen a couple of crusaders being trialled , to be honest if i could get the gears to select properly the motor would probably be fine.

The other thing i cant seem to get right is the forks , they seem to top out and give a right clatter when they do!

Any hints or tips much appreciated guys-thanks greg

hi Guy's.

Hi Greg.

I am in the middle of a Crusader build, or should I say a Crusade, Any way you will need the use of a fully eqiuped workshop lathe etc, or someone who has one. I have a list as long has your arm that needs to be done,will write it out for you later. The first thing you need to get rid of are the forks.You could replace them with forks from a Bullet, if you wish has these are damped unlike the ones that you have on at present. Keep an eye open for a Villiers 8E gearbox for you may need parts from that.

Also the clutch needs sorting and the main shaft replacing with the Villiers shaft and clutch cetre. (I am trying to fit a clutch from a Yamaha) A load of the crankcases need cutting away around the chain and at the back of the gearbox on the oposite side. There is a cure for the gearchange mech but this will mean machining. The motor needs atention to its breathing (so do I). Frame needs some mods,etc. but dont be put off by what I say, as most of the bits are available and not to expensive. Just do one job at a time.

Regard's Charlie.