Setting Out Section Flags

dabmeister

A topic brought up on the Lakes 2 day thread was that some of the Clubman routes up greasy bankings etc. were harder than the waterfalls, steps etc that they are routed to avoid, but the flags are set so that the routes are totally seperate.

I've noticed that trials in the North of England are the same. At the Reeth 3 day 2 years ago I watched about 40 clubmen 3 or 5 a section ( Tank Trap? ) with a grassy camber avoiding a couple of rock steps which I'm sure some of them could have cleaned had the flags been set so they could go either way.

At quite a number of Scottish club and national events, the flags are set so that the left and right markers are at the extremities and the hard route cards are within these, so giving the clubmen the chance to ride either way.

What is the general consensus ?

I do not know if it is really the same as what you are saying, but I believe it is.

When I set sections, I always here my dad talking too me, "give them plenty of choices, none of them good"

I also hold to the thought that the fewer markers making the obstacle / section, the better it is. An end gate and a start gate is just about right to my mind.

I usually try and have at least two, often three lines through any particular tough spot in sections I set.

One is my way, Drop off, ledge, rolly rocks, high excitement but straight.

One is Doug's, wiggle, giggle and work around it.

I like it when the guy tries two or three lines through a section and is not sure which one to try on the last loop.