Puch Dalesman

ianashdown

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting indeed Sparks, many thanks sir,,,long shot, but are there any manuals around for the Puch motor ?

,,may even pop over an' buy you a pint in the Bronte sometime B)

Hi Swampy

Yes, there is a manual for the Puch motor, certainly for the 125/175 six speed motor, so you should find something for the 4 speeder which was produced in greater numbers and was in the Puch

125 road bike of course. Just keep trawling E-bay and something should turn up.

Kind Regards

Sparks2

Mr Nigel Martin Greenwood, '74, Mr Anthony Haig, 29th July, ''75, and finally myself,

,,,you think Nigel Greenwood, who bought the bike in '74 is the same guy Sparks ?

That is definately my friend Nigel M. Greenwood from Huddersfield and I have seen action photos of the Dalesman bike he had many times.

I have just had a text back from him coinfirming his middle name...

Big John

many thanks for the response Big John B) , when I bring the bike home tomorrow, I'll try and get a few photo's and post 'em up,,see if he recognises his old bike he sold,,,bloody 'ell ! 34 years ago ! :)

Nigel has had quite a few trials bikes since that Dalesman (just about everything that has ever been made in fact), but he has had his special TLR250 Honda for 15 years now.

Big John

That is definately my friend Nigel M. Greenwood from Huddersfield and I have seen action photos of the Dalesman bike he had many times.

I have just had a text back from him coinfirming his middle name...

Big John

Hi

Just hang on a bit here BJ !!! I think you could be putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

Nigel and his father did buy a new Dalesman from Terry Silvester in March 1969, I know because in a small way I helped them assemble it.

Nigel did not ride the Dalesman for long as he was riding a 170 Minarelli Cotton from late 1969/early 1970 onwards. That was soon followed by a 250 Bultaco model 49, eventually to be fitted with a Miller frame.

I've known Nigel all his life and he has kept very stum about a middle name.

Now if Nigel had bought this particular bike in about 1974 it was not his original one from 1969, as we have seen, that was first registered to a

Mr Roberts. The 'action photos' you have seen will have been Nigel riding his original Dalesman in 1969. That incidentally was Nigel's second trials bike and his first new one, his first trials bike being a secondhand Greeves Anglian.

In about 1974 the Dalesman would have been completely outmoded, outdated and completely unfasionable so I could only see Nigel, then a rising Yorkshire Centre expert, buying one for old times sake, not to ride competitively.

Anyway, now the only definative answer will be to ask Nigel himself.

Anyway I do enjoy 'discussing' old trials bikes and riders.

We have not heard from Ian Ashdown, who originated this thread, I wonder how he is going on with his Dalesman.

Kind Regards

Sparks2

Edited by sparks2

Hi

Just hang on a bit here BJ !!! I think you could be putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

Nigel and his father did buy a new Dalesman from Terry Silvester in March 1969, I know because in a small way I helped them assemble it.

Nigel did not ride the Dalesman for long as he was riding a 170 Minarelli Cotton from late 1969/early 1970 onwards. That was soon followed by a 250 Bultaco model 49, eventually to be fitted with a Miller frame.

I've known Nigel all his life and he has kept very stum about a middle name.

Now if Nigel had bought this particular bike in about 1974 it was not his original one from 1969, as we have seen, that was first registered to a

Mr Roberts. The 'action photos' you have seen will have been Nigel riding his original Dalesman in 1969. That incidentally was Nigel's second trials bike and his first new one, his first trials bike being a secondhand Greeves Anglian.

In about 1974 the Dalesman would have been completely outmoded, outdated and completely unfasionable so I could only see Nigel, then a rising Yorkshire Centre expert, buying one for old times sake, not to ride competitively.

Anyway, now the only definative answer will be to ask Nigel himself.

Anyway I do enjoy 'discussing' old trials bikes and riders.

We have not heard from Ian Ashdown, who originated this thread, I wonder how he is going on with his Dalesman.

Kind Regards

Sparks2

Sorry Sparks2, but you are wrong on this one, I have spoken to the man himself today at around 2.30pm, it was his Dalesman, he bought it from Terry new and the bike wasn't in his name the year he had it the bike, it wasn't registered in Nigel's name but Terry's. Nigel bought it back in around 1973/74 and it was registered in his name at that time before he sold it on. Nigel has been watching the thread himself but hasn't posted on here for quite a while. Nigel also confirmed the bike that followed was indeed a Cotton as you say.

So Swampy, you do have the ex-Nigel M. Greenwood Dalesman! Nigel will try to send you a message on here so you can make contact for more information shortly!

Big John

Edited by Big John

Sorry Sparks2, but you are wrong on this one, I have spoken to the man himself today at around 2.30pm, it was his Dalesman, he bought it from Terry new and the bike wasn't in his name the year he had it the bike, it wasn't registered in Nigel's name but Terry's. Nigel bought it back in around 1973/74 and it was registered in his name at that time before he sold it on. Nigel has been watching the thread himself but hasn't posted on here for quite a while. Nigel also confirmed the bike that followed was indeed a Cotton as you say.

So Swampy, you do have the ex-Nigel M. Greenwood Dalesman! Nigel will try to send you a message on here so you can make contact for more information shortly!

Big John

Hi

Yes, Thanks BJ for clearing this up. Now it all becomes clear. Don't forget it was me that first suggested that the bike could be Nigel's.

Good to see the NG Dalesman again after all these years. It deserves an honourable restoration and further use

My best regards to Nigel, Swampy, BJ and all concerned.

Sparks2

Edited by sparks2

Big John

,,many thanks BJ, message replied to, and Ian, my appologies sir, for hijacking your thread :lol:

initial investigation will see me trawling the autojumbles for a new carb, (tickler boss in the float cover plate has snapped off),,and the main things it will need are fresh wheel rims and respoking, no big deal as Paul Jackson is right on my doorstep, new fasteners throughout, and a good fettlin',,,,some new rear shockers too, as the ones that are on it seem about 3" too short, rear tyre is rubbing, again folks, many thanks for your input here, much appreciated :lol: