Recommendations - Sherpa T

alan_nc

Group,

Need some suggestions:

I ride a Model 92 Sherpa T in Trials. Totally stock bike, points, AMAL carb. Great bike, runs fine, rebuilt about a year ago. Plenty of power, very good throttle response.

My problem: It isn't now, and never has been a "first kick start". 5 to 7 kicks when cold and usually 2 or 3 when warm. This is a real pain in Trials where you have to start the bike about 30 times in an afternoon.

Any suggestions to improve starting. I don't even care if I loose a little power.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

You would think that is either in the pilot circuit and/or timing. And I`m sure you have checked both. I can see the concern since I always thought the Bul kickstater was an awkward feel. Any good running bike should always be one or two kicks. Good luck.

It doesn't matter if it is a Bultaco or a Montesa or a whatever, if it has a decent spark, correct timing, enough compression and not too lean on the idle and pilot mixtures, it will start first kick when warm.

That must be exhausting kicking a 325 that much. If my 348 Monty didn't start first kick when warm, I don't think I would be able to finish a trial - I would be so exhausted. It should start on first or second kick when cold too.

From what I've found, 325s are sensitive to the timing of the spark being just right for easy starting when warm.

For the poor cold starting, it may be a carby problem too making it worse. If you have the Amal with a tickler, try leaning the bike over a bit to raise the hole where the fuel comes out, to get a bit more into the motor when you do the tickling. That works for my bikes with tickler Amals (M49 Sherpa T and M138 Alpina).

Dave,

You are correct - but that still leaves me with a two or three kick start when hot. I don't know how your cousin did it this past weekend - he must have kick the Mont 10 times every start.

Feetupfun,

You see my problem. I'm wupppped about half way through. I get so tired it is killing my scores.

Group,

Do you set the timing 'by the book' or do you change it slightly?

Thanks for the replies.

Alan

What is the ambient temperature ?

Well it's been between 20 and 40 degrees (f) for the past couple of months, but I have had the problem at 0 degrees and 85 degrees. This bike has just never been a 1st kick starter.

Will replace the points and set the timing this weekend, then report back.

Alan

Well it's been between 20 and 40 degrees (f) for the past couple of months, but I have had the problem at 0 degrees and 85 degrees. This bike has just never been a 1st kick starter.

Will replace the points and set the timing this weekend, then report back.

Alan

points make sure they are cleaned, contact cleaner. Set timing at 2.5 mm btdc for easy starting. new plug not champion.

Group,

Update:

Replaced the condenser, plug, points. Set timing to 2.5mm. Started 1st kick (cold). Didn't have a chance to ride any as it's raining buckets here. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow some.

Thanks to everyone.

Alan