A Question For Lee ...

axulsuv

Hi Lee , Just a quick ? That you may know ....

Upon disassmbly of the forks and steering head, I discovered ( i think ) that the FM330 and the 240 use the same bearings in the steering neck ... or is my bad eyesight playing tricks on me and I'll have to order some other bearings , rather than use one of the new sets I have here already ... And do you know what size the puller for the flywheel would be ? Just trying to eliminate the lighting coil and wire ...

Thanks ,

Glenn :closedeyes:

hmm? the 240 hat 47mm OD on the race and 20mm I think on the shaft. (not sure on that though) The bearing number of the 240 is 32005. probably is the same on the 330. Dont know the flywheel size for puller but probably the same as the 125,

i will look for one

I just double checked , it's 19 or 20 mm at the most ... And Lee thank you very much for the parts manual . Got it today !

Glenn

I have a bicycle crank removal tool that I've used to remove a flywheel on something ages ago,it has two different threads,m22x1 and I think m20x1,whatever it is it has fit an ignition on something I worked on in the past,I haven't messed with my bicycles for a year or so so I don't quite know which toolbox to look in(If it's in any toolbox) All the modern crank tools I see on parktools website just have the more common m22 thread,I bought mine at a bike shop 15 years ago,I don't know if the dual threaded removal tools are still available.I'll be out in the garage working tomorrow night,I'll track it down and see what the threads are,there's no problem sending it to you to use if you need it(providing I can find it!)

OK,found the bike crank puller,but the damn thing is m22 and m23,I can't remember what I used it on but I doubt it was a morini 50.I did find another old puller my dad had that measures just under 19mm,it's threads are worn to the point I might be concerned screwing it into a rare flywheel.There is a chance it would fit yours as it's the only flywheel puller my dad had and I do remember having the flywheels off of our Broncco's. I tried swapping the ignition off our minarelli 50 powered mini onto our morini 75 powered mini to put a lighting coil on the 75 but the flywheel tapers were different,and the inside diameters of the rotors were also not the same,so i'd be carefull with the one you got,it's likely the only freakin' one in the U.S.

If you have no other recourse I can send it to you,if you cut off the first few threads it might be a better fit,you wouldn't need to return it to me,I don't really see a fiddy in my future...

Thanks for the effort Lee , but at that price + shipping I'll get a chen-sing here local for about 40.00 usd . instead of a unkown age ,never heard of brand ... and I'll just put a 2.75 on the front ! No one that I can find makes a 2.50 anymore ! The shop dust on it scares me , and she won't know the diferance between 2 ply or 4ply anyways ... Not a pro level rider YET .

Glenn

• 1 month later...

To anyone keeping score ... The old puller Doug sent me , 19mm x 1.0 fits perfect ! The treaded hole in the flywheel is deep enough so the puller was able to engage all of it's threads and then some .! Thank you very much Doug :P . And I found a 2.50 x 21 trials tire , originally intended for a honda trail 90/110 . Brand new and still soft , but a 4 ply rating and a Chen shin 3.50 18 for the back , also 4ply . I doubt my daughter will be able to tell the differance between a 2ply and 4ply tire ... Now to round up stock size sprockets (415 chain ! ) so I can use the bike while having the OE sprockets copied a little thicker , to take a 420 or 428 chain width .

A little progres is always encouraging !

Glenn