Ty175 Gearbox Oil

gazzaecowarrior

• 9 months later...

I want to try atf fluid in my TY175 gearbox because my clutch doesn't work when the bike is cold and I've read that atf may help (I don't want to pull bike apart if I can avoid it).

So I went to my local autostore (Supercheap Auto - in NZ) and they have different grades/types - some called type 'D' or 'F' (forgot the brand) and Castrol has several versions.

Which do I use or are they all ok?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Gday, it might pay to double check the clutch adjustment under the sprocket cover first, the procedure is in the manual. Let me know if you dont have one. After that, Dexron 3 spec is fine, it is the "common garden variety" ATF used in many automatics from the 60's onwards. Pretty much any brand is OK too, although go with a known brand, Castrol, Shell, BP, etc. High spec stuff is not necessary as the bike transmission is understressed compared to an Auto in a car. Its also the cheapest!

Cheers,

Stork

Went to ATF in my 175 so I could get the clutch to quit sticking.

I pulled it apart, cleaned it, re-assembled and it still stuck.

Put the ATF in and no more problem.

Now with the TY250(s) I continue to use Standard 30 w motor oil. If I us ATF I can't get either one I have to shift correctly and it's the devil to find neutral when stopped. Never a problem when using 30w.

Thats just what I have run into.

Alan

• 4 months later...

Went to the Yamaha dealer to get some atf oil. He advised me that although it may stop the clutch from sticking, in the longer term it wouldn't protect the bearings and would eventually cause bigger problems...So was a bad idea. Is this true?

Said i would be better just pulling the clutch plates apart and cleaning them..

Well, I guess I've got to ask: Why did you go to a motorcycle dealer to get ATF? My first choice would be an auto parts store.

I have used ATF in motorcycle transmissions for years. I really don't know if he is correct about wear or not. It's used in transmissions in cars and trucks the get many more miles put on them. I would say you are going to be tearing down the engine for something else a long time before ATF causes any wear problems.

just my .02

Alan

Well, I guess I've got to ask: Why did you go to a motorcycle dealer to get ATF? My first choice would be an auto parts store.

I have used ATF in motorcycle transmissions for years. I really don't know if he is correct about wear or not. It's used in transmissions in cars and trucks the get many more miles put on them. I would say you are going to be tearing down the engine for something else a long time before ATF causes any wear problems.

just my .02

Alan

I went to the Yamaha dealer as he's just round the corner from me and did have ATF for sale. He could have made a sale out of me but opted to advise me against using ATF in a 33yr old 2 stroke bike.

ATF sounds pretty safe according to many on here, but I'm going to take his advice and try and fix the sticky clutch another way.

Edited by Williamd