Ty175 Gearbox Oil

gazzaecowarrior

Gday - your dealer is talking utter C*ap! ATF is probably the most highly specified oil anywhere. In an automotive automatic transmission it has to lubricate roller bearings, needle roller bearings, torrington races and bronze bearings. It is a hydraulic fluid and operates the various clutches (yes - multiple clutches of a type identical to motorcycle ones!) and bands, it has to withstand temperatures of up to 600C, does not foam, is compatible with all modern type oil seals, it is a gear lubricant and is compatible with the sliding loads that gears produce etc etc.

Short story - save some work probably and try the ATF first. If it doesnt work, then pull your clutch apart! ( I dont think you will need too).

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks Stork. Like others, you sound pretty sure about this and i am trying to avoid 'pulling things apart' if i can.

Would anyone advise against using ATF in an old 2 stroke (like the owner of the Yamaha shop round the corner from me)? Just want to be sure.

Edited by Williamd

I would second Stork's comments. Auto transmissions have multiple epicyclic gear trains, wet clutches, bearings and seals all in a hot environment. I used to repair Renault automatic gearboxes and never saw a bearing fail, it was always the hydraulics valves or clutches which gave trouble. I've used Castrol TQF (ATF) Dexron III spec in my TY250 since its rebuild and had zero shift or clutch stick issues. Dexron III spec has extra additives. Mobil ATF220 is also a good Dexron II spec fluid which is mineral based.