Modern Mods?

bultoboy

i have just stumbled over trials central and realise you guys know a lot more then me.

i have ridden twinshocks in local clubs since i was 15 and now being 20 i have finally started to get ok at riding i can even do a few tricks the mono boys love to show off.

i am asking for general advice and opinions on mods for my 325 sherpa t butaco, to date it has electronic ignition from bultaco uk which s the best money i have ever spent on it. mark 2 amal carb and some decent bars.

is it possible to get some disk brakes? better forks maybe of the mono type? and whats all the fuss with falcon shocks? can you get lighter wheels? any other mods you can think of i want to do.

i have another bultaco which is going to stay original for when i want to do classic trails and have to follow the rules on bike spec however i want to make a very trick bultaco and be able to put a bultaco in the tmx's "take a look" page which will make a change to yet another modern crosser with fancie plastics

cheers

Edited by bultoboy

Hi ya,

I used to have a Bultaco Sherpa 350 (I Think) that had been modded into a Mono Shock! It was the only one i had ever seen. Not sure what happened to it i will have to check with my Father see if he can recall. He still has a Bultaco Sherpa late model 6 speed which was a Sandiford 370 works bike.

Hi ya,

I used to have a Bultaco Sherpa 350 (I Think) that had been modded into a Mono Shock! It was the only one i had ever seen. Not sure what happened to it i will have to check with my Father see if he can recall. He still has a Bultaco Sherpa late model 6 speed which was a Sandiford 370 works bike.

Which Sandiford was it who rode a works bultaco then??? James Sandiford was the UK Concessionaire for Montesa for nye on forty years. I doubt Montesa would be very happy if he rode a "works" Taco!!!

a mono bultaco hmmm sounds interesting but i am looking to keep it twinshock. i have little knowledge on how to modify the frame that much. if you come across a pic though please link it as i would like to have a look see

maybe its character but i got the bike very cheap 3 years ago and i have another so money is not really an issue.....well it is being a student but i am wanting a project over a year or so to take out the sting

i would just like to have a bike thats different and maybe as special as one of jon bliss' creations

A mate of mine done this mod on his sherpa a few years ago and has done it on his other sherpas and it makes the engine nice and crisp and very responsive as the fueling is controlled much better by the reed valve, also means the carb is easier to set up.

It involves taking some alloy out of the standard inlet on the barrel with a dremmel or rotary burr and having a alloy plate machined up to take the reed block, a sherco reed block fits nice.

Also need to drill 2 holes in the back of the piston

btw I have bought one of those electronic ignitions also, how big a difference did it make?

Edited by branc

hmm sounds like a good thing this reed valve although my dad did a top end rebuild a while back and it is plenty responsive although i think it could do with the carb being ceaned again.

the electronic ignition......well put it this way i bought it with the amal carb as my dad hates bing when i bought the bike 3 years ago and i have never needed to replace the plug or anything and it still starts 2nd kick...well it did untill last weekend when it sarted making rattling noises......think its time for that botom end rebuild

There's a Sherpa with Loooong forks and disc brake on evilbay at the moment. Nasty!

There have been many Sherpas modified over the years, there is a thread over on Todotrial with pictures of quite a few of them.

I guess it could be a fun thing to do, BUT do make sure your donor bike is not one of the more desirable Sherpas before you start taking a saw to it!

Might be better if your engine and frame numbers match to go out get an orphan engine and frame to play with. There's a 199 (Though he's listed it as 199B which it's not) frame on ebay at the moment, and at tenner last I looked.

Wayne.....

Which Sandiford was it who rode a works bultaco then??? James Sandiford was the UK Concessionaire for Montesa for nye on forty years. I doubt Montesa would be very happy if he rode a "works" Taco!!!

Sandiford/Comerford guess there's room for confusion :rolleyes:

Be interesting to see the bike in question though :thumbup:

Wayne...

Some of the best mods I have found:

Use a front brake actuation arm from a frontera for the clutch actuation arm. (this changes the caming point so you can slip it better)

Barnette Fiber clutch plates.

Use frontera footpegs, they are wider and longer.

If you don't want to use stock bultaco footpegs, it is best to reposition them further back and lower.

If you are not lucky enough to have a 199a/b, sammy miller hi-boy frame, you can cut the frame rails from below the engine and weld on some brackets to the frame, and put a aluminum skidplate on the bottom (this give you better ground clearance, and a stronger skidplate).

Use a 250 flywheel on the 350s (both magneto and primary side)

Use a modern carburetor the dellorto from a gas gas and sherco work well. (100main, 34/36 pilot)

Electronic Ignition. (use a auto condenser if you are going to use the points ignition)

Falcon Shocks

Create your own dual rate springs for the front forks, if you do not have a 199.

Sammy Miller Repackable mid box exhaust.

If you have a 199a/b, (bore it out to a 360), no replacement for displacement! :rolleyes:

my bike is already on its max rebore, will the barrel be able to have that much taken out? where would i find the piston to fit this?

i like the idea of the wider pegs that is a must i think.

you mentioned falcon shocks too what is the big thin with them? people seem to love or hate them and i have only just come across them whats the fuss about?

and whats special about sammy's exhast system?

my bike is already on its max rebore, will the barrel be able to have that much taken out? where would i find the piston to fit this?

i like the idea of the wider pegs that is a must i think.

you mentioned falcon shocks too what is the big thin with them? people seem to love or hate them and i have only just come across them whats the fuss about?

and whats special about sammy's exhast system?

You can't bore them out to 360cc (not with a Pursang piston) to get to 360 you need a 65mm stroke as well, max bore size on standard stroke is 340 and a bit with oversizes. On early 325 Sherpas the liner isn't thick enough to overbore past the normal max oversize. Only possible from model 159 I think onwards.

Falcon shocks are personal preference, they are probably the best value for money in my opinion (steel bodied that is, not alloy) and Mr Falcon has been doing them for years so is generally pretty good at setting them up how you want them. Other makes either come as they are or the seller doesn't have the experience of 'building them to spec'.

Nothing special about the Miller exhaust at all, I'd say the opposite - my opinion obviously but I think it is poor quality, poor appearance. Front pipe is awful in fact with washers as spring retainers. Middle silencer won't join with a rear silencer as the outlet pipe doesn't come close to lining up with the inlet of the back box. Maybe the new owners will commission some better replacements one day. Won't do anything for performance (not meant to to be fair, it's a replacement, not a performance enhancement) If you need an exhaust you're better off looking on ebay USA for used Bult original exhausts as other than Miller's the front pipes and middle boxes aren't generally available new.