M199 Crankshaft Mod

gomey68

Hey all,

I am rebuilding a M199 with a 2 main bearing crankshaft. Has anyone ever converted this engine to take 3 main bearings as per the M199A? It looks like I just need a new seal holder from a 3 bearing engine and then a different shorter spacer for the seal to run on, from a 3 bearing engine also. Any help appreciated :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I am rebuilding a M199 with a 2 main bearing crankshaft. Has anyone ever converted this engine to take 3 main bearings as per the M199A? It looks like I just need a new seal holder from a 3 bearing engine and then a different shorter spacer for the seal to run on, from a 3 bearing engine also. Any help appreciated :-)

Hi, Way back in 75 my 136 360 pursang was fitted with double row bearings on both sides(mag and primary). The engine was much more smooth after that.It's the same bearing as used in a El Bandito clutch hub..The seal plates and the spacer needed some rework..Don't remember the exact details too far back..

Dean

Hello gomey,

I have an older model 325 Sherpa that is fitted with a roller bearing on the clutch side and a standard ball race on the ignition flywheel side, it has run like this for over 7 years and seems to be fine. I don't know the bearing number but it may be worth investigating. The roller has a heavier load bearing capability than ball race though no method for controlling end float.

Bye, PeterB.