Leaning Out

jesster

I've got a 99 315R and ive found that when i get down to about half a tank or so, the engine leans out when i am going down hill. It seems to me that the pickup in the tank is sucking air due to the low fuel level and the angle of the bike. But i shouldnt really have problems until i get really low on fuel. If anyone has any suggestions or has had this problem,let me know. It recently cost me a five at a local event when the bike leaned out and launched me out of the section.

My 2004 Mont. started doing similar on flat level ground. Dirt was in the carb. bowl vents causing intemitent starving out. I had to blow out the bowl vents specifically, but you should also clean the air passages at the back of the air horn and of course the pilot, choke and main jets. Normally when going down step embankments flooding is the cause of stalling. If you are convinced it's running out of fuel on steep descents and not fllooding, clean the carb. thouroughly. If that doesn't solve it then you will need to check for air leaks at intake man, main seal, or base gasket. If you are certain this problem only occurrs when the fuel tank level gets low, then check out the petcock for any plugged up passages, but it seems pretty far fetched. Also make sure the vent hose on top is not restricted, pinched etc. Good luck, Jay