Shock Length Help....

cfraser

Would anyone happen to know the length of a the 2002 shock? I also am looking for the length of the 2006 Shock. From what I have read within the RYP Forum, Sherco used a particular length shock on the 01-05' and a different length shock on the 06'. Here is a quote fro RY: "99-00, 01-05, 06-. ALL HAVE DIFFERENT LENGTHS AND DIFFERENT TRILINKS TO GO WITH THE DIFFERENT SHOCKS. ALL SHOCKS AND TRILINKS CAN BE SWAPPED ON ALL YEAR MODELS.

Here is my problem, the 06' shock is leaking and I have a new shock that was givin to me and has never been used. It was built by Works Performance here in the States: http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html The previous owner couldn't remember what year bike he had the shock built for since he has owned just about every year Sherco built.

It was built for the Sherco 2.9 and measures 10.250 inches.(26.035 cm) from the center of the top mount hole to the center of the bottom mount hole. I haven't had time to tear down the bikes to measure the shocks yet and I am hoping that someone might have an answer to my question. Since I have an 02' and an 06', I'm hoping to give this shock a try on one of them. It has adjustable rebound and is oil/gas charged......

Thanks and all the best,

Carl

Edited by cfraser

Cannot help you with shock lengths, but the ones that are sold by others such as Ohlins seem to be a generic fit throughout the years.

Lewisport may be able to confirm that, as they are a dealer.

I seem to recall the Delta Link changing in '04, as I still have an old one off my '03 bike, which i changed out. There was a couple mm change in one side if it, but the '03 shock was still rather slow on the rebound. This was never horrible, as most do not need the quickness for trick riding anyway.

Heard they changed the Delta again in '09, not sure the specs.

The shocks on the '06 seemed to leak, but were still not as quick as the '07 adjustable unit, so the more oil they leak, the better they got, all the way till they make those sucking sounds and lock up!

The Works Perf. shock was developed with Lane Leavitt. The hope was a better and adjustable shock at a reasonable price. I cannot tell you what did not work out, but we never heard much. Maybe they work, maybe not, worth a try! :thumbup:

Cope,

Thanks for the info. You are a wealth of knowledge and I was hoping that you would respond. There is so little information available on the web regarding shocks for these bikes or at least I'm not having any luck finding it. I'm going to try and make time this week and remove the shock and links from both bikes and measure them. I'm hoping it will match-up with the shock from one of the bikes so that I can at least try the Works shock. This shock mounts in the more traditional method as the later shocks for the Sherco do. It looks as though Works Performance designed it so that it will have enough clearance at both ends. The 2006 Shock is not at the lowend of the oil charge yet and just started seeping. If this dosent work out, I'll call Ryan and get a later model adjustable shock from him. Hopefully the Works shock will fit, on one of the bikes, so I at least get a chance to put it to use and see how it does. But I doubt that I will ever really test the shocks limits due to my trials riding ability, lol.

Thanks again and I do really value your input,

Carl

Carl, I would just put the works shock on the '02 to see what difference it makes.

To do a bit of "feel" testing, press down upon the rear and judge the compression and rebound rates after a bit of warmup. The earlier shocks tended to be a bit slow on the rebound.

Your '06 may be a bit quicker to start with by comparison, this is OK as long as it has oil and damping effect.

The Works shock just needs to be in range on its adjustments, not too quick, not too dead on rebound.

Just remember the basics, Too quick on both compression and rebound will spring you off the bike! Loose traction at critical times and so it goes.

A quicker rebound is better for trick riding and moving the rear(which is in style) yet may well overwork you trying to keep up with it and maintain traction.

All of this is much limited my you own ability and your minds ability to adjust to the bike. Timing becomes an issue, but it never stopped the riders! Just adjust. Stability has its value, you see!

Have fun ! :thumbup:

Cope,

Thanks...I'm going to do some testing on the 02' today. I rode the 06' all day yesterday and the shock was getting progressively worse (leaking) by the end of the day. If you don't mind, I will keep you posted on the results through out the week.

All the best and thanks again,

Carl

Would anyone happen to know the length of a the 2002 shock? I also am looking for the length of the 2006 Shock.

Hi Carl,

I don't have any specs for 2002, but I had a 2004 and now a 2006 and the specs were:

259mm for the SACHS on the 2004

267mm for the OLL

Edited by hugo

Hugo,

Thanks a million! I really appriciate you sending me the length of the shocks. I'm going to tear down the 02' this week since its also time to clean and regrease the linkage anyway. It's been hectic and I haven't had the time to do this over the last few weeks.

Thanks again and all the best!

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mark (Cope),

Sorry for the delay in giving an update. I actually tried the Works Performance Shock (WP) on both bikes. The 02' uses the same length shock measurement. It's a tight fit since the pre-load adjustment is on the bottom of the WP shock. Ryan is correct, the 02' dog-bones are a tad shorter than the ones on the 06', hence the tight fit. I ran just enough preload to make sure the adjuster didn't make contact with the swingarm. I was lucky since static sag measured 26mm. Wow, what a difference! The WP uses a thicker shaft and has rebound adjustment. After full-day of adjusting by trial and error, I found the correct settings that suited my inexperience riding style. I now can actually feel the suspension load and unload where the stock suspension seemed lifeless. The stock shock was in good condition but at 205lbs rider weight, I have a feeling I was sacking the spring due to excessive preload. As you know, I have zero experience in riding trials, and I'm trying not to influence the testing based off of my MX background. But I did notice huge improvements when setting up for a blip of the throttle. When the rear tire makes contact with the log, I don't feel as though its just dragging behind me...if that makes any sence.

As for the 06'...good and bad, lol. As suspected the OEM shock was out of juice and lifeless. The WP is a tad shorter than the stocker but still worked well due to the longer dog-bones. Ride height was reduced and the bike felt out-of-balance. I played with the front end preload and actually corrected the feel by raising the forks in the tripple-trees... the second line down from the top of the cap. The bike felt good but....tracking seemed off. I still can't quite explain what feels different. I liked the shock on the 02' but really didn't care for it on the 06'. I was even thinking about swapping the delta and dog-bones on the 06' for the setup on the 02', but why take a step backwards in the evolution of Sherco development. The WP is back on the 02' and I have been riding it over the last two weeks. I'm going to call Ryan and get a new shock on order for the 06'. More than likely and 07' shock since the Caby is pretty much the same suspension setup as the 07'. I'd be happy to listen to any suggestions that you or any others may have regarding the 06' shock replacement????

All the best,

Carl

Carl,

I would not bee too inclined to mess with the '06 shock as far as repairs go, as they just seem too troublesome.

Lewisport sells the TRP shock, yet they are a bit pricy at about $800 now I think. The Ohlins is highly rated and the standard of comparison it seems. And a bit more costly. He gets them as well, but I think they are special order.

Occasionally a Sherco shock will pop up in the classifieds section on the front page. Maybe if you register and place a wanted ad, someone will have a little used 07-09 stock shock for a reasonable price. ???? :rotfl:

Mark,

I will take your advice and pass on rebuilding the 06' shock. Hey, at least I found a home for the WP on the 02'. More than likely I will spring for a new shock since I really am anxious to jump back on the 06'. By the way, I just picked up an old twin shocker...a Monty 349 and will enter the next MAVT event. Wow, what a difference after riding the Shercs. I forgot what its like not having reeds, lol. Well, thanks for the advice and I hope the weather in the great state of Texas is better than the weather we are having hear in the North East. I grew up is San Antonio.....

All the best,

Carl

Mark,

I will take your advice and pass on rebuilding the 06' shock. Hey, at least I found a home for the WP on the 02'. More than likely I will spring for a new shock since I really am anxious to jump back on the 06'. By the way, I just picked up an old twin shocker...a Monty 349 and will enter the next MAVT event. Wow, what a difference after riding the Shercs. I forgot what its like not having reeds, lol. Well, thanks for the advice and I hope the weather in the great state of Texas is better than the weather we are having hear in the North East. I grew up is San Antonio.....

All the best,

Carl

Well Carl, at least it sounds like you are enjoying some fun riding. That Mont should make you appreciate the older Sherco! That bike can still kick butt!

We have had lots of rain and moderate temps so far, a nice break, that will change shortly I am afraid! Heat and more heat! ;)