Clutch Drag... Again

uncle_dave

Apologies for bringing up this well trodden subject again.

I have been reading a number of old threads, and the only sure fired cure seems to be an after market clutch kit. I have changed the gear box oil to ELF, no difference.

Setting off in 2nd seems to help, but when you are learning to ride trials it is a distraction I could do without. (If you can call constant stalling a distraction!)

Has anybody got any experience of fitting a clutch kit? If so was it successful, and which one did you fit?

Thanks

Uncle Dave

Edited by Uncle_Dave

Did you check the clutch basket for sign of wear on the edges where the clutch and friction plates mate with it, worth checking the plates in this area too. Are the clutch plates warped, sometimes when the clutch has been slipping alot they warp out of shape and the clutch won't release properly as a consequence. You may already have checked this but if not might be worth having a look.

just too add,

I had the same problem and it was due to the cluch lever being not adjusted correctly, it was not letting the master cylinder piston fully return to let fluid from the reservoir get into the line. It may be worth checking before stripping everything down.

regards

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

Bleed the clutch line before you buy plates. Mine starts to drag once in a while but if i change the dot fluid and bleed it well its back to normal. Back bleed it with a syringe, i tape a bowl under the master cylinder on the handle bars to catch the stuff i push out. This is by far the best way i've found of bleeding it. I have replaced the plates before and put the standard ones in and they work fine.

Thanks for the advice chaps, tried the following;

• Changing the oil for the recommended ELF stuff
  • Adjusted the lever
  • Replaced the piston in the master cylinder
  • Replaced the fluid and bled it good...

Still dragging...

I think I need to look at the clutch plates, and maybe go for some of the aftermarket ones recommended elsewhere.

Anybody got experience of those?

Hi,

I used the Haven Trialsport friction plates first but what really made a difference was changing to the Apico steel clutch plates from BVM. They are dimpled which holds oil better or something.

I still get a little drag starting from cold but after that its fine - ie. I start myself rolling, tap it in to first, catch it on the back brake with a bit of revving and slipping and its good to go for the rest of the day.