Pinky Not Running Right

neil88green

Had a big off on my pinky the other evening ending with the bike upside down in a stream. It was not running when it entered the water and when extracted kicked up first stab. Now after cleaning and drying out it will start and run for about five mins then fluffs and dies. It will then restart and run if the choke is out. Any ideas what to check next. Have tried a new plug to no avail.

Thanks

Hi Neil,

Did you clean out the fuel tank and carb float chamber? Possible you got some water in there if submerged for a while and as water is heavier than petrol it will sit in the bottom of the tank and float chamber until you drain it. Could be the impact dislodged some dirt and it's found it's way into the carb jets. I'd start by giving the tank and carb a good clean out and blow through with compressed air.

Rich

Good news ( I hope) stripped the carb down and gave it a good blow through with compressed air and the bike started and seems to run OK.

It took a bit more time to kick up but once running ran up to temperature and seemed to pick up on the throttle fine. Hopefully get out over the weekend to give it a proper try.

Often the carb vent tubes get water trapped inside, a common fix mentioned on the forum is to slice the ends at a diagonal, water and crud has tougher time plugging ends

Edited by diggin4s