Montesa 315 2000model

stuessenhigh

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone can help me with some basic maintenance info for this bike.

I'd like to know, how much fork oil is recommended.

How much transmission oil. AND, some friends here reckon you MUST use spark plug BR6ES??

That plug is hard to get here, do you reckon a BP6ES would be OK??

Thanks in advance for any help. :banana::banana:

Stu: If you are unable to get resistor plugs, install a resistor cap like older Hondas used and it should perform the same function. The resistor is needed for use with certain types of electronic ignitions. The exact function is voodoo. :banana:

I'm probably being a COMPLETE doughnut now..but I thought the resistor was just to avoid interference with the spark from 3rd party electronic gadgets etc....Is it really connected to what type of ignition is on the bike??...I'm surprised none of the other modern trials bikes "NEED" a plug with resistor? :banana: Thanks..anyway..its not that I dont believe you, just feel a little un-sure ...I WILL however tread carefully and keep hunting for a BR6ES!! :banana:

Cheers Lloyd..

Now I'm even more confused though. Went to the bike shop this afternoon...and OK its not a trials dealer, but the guy there is pretty smart...even got out the NGK guidance books etc to show me, and swore blind that it wont matter at all if I dont use an "R" plug...(ie he reckons a BP6ES will be fine).

Still more inclined to take CHarlie and Jays advice ..but it does seem to be a rather "un-agreed" topic. Will probably get a resistor cap like Jay suggested since they are readily available here :banana:

I recall something about this subject when the '97 Honda CR 250 was introduced. The way I recall, they would run badly at times with the non resistor plug and some people said it could cause premature failure of the electronic ignition. (not sure if this is actually true) I do know for certain that I put a set of ordinary metal core plug wires, for points system on a Honda Civic which had Hitachi Electronic distributor on it and the car would Idle well, but had profound missfiring under a load. The scope showed radically wild veriations in the spark time line which disappeared with the resistor wires along with the missfires. I conclude that the lack of resistor somehow is related to the secondary ignition coils secondary resistance. The resistor extends firing time at the spark plug gap considerably. See, like I said it's voodoo. :banana:

You MUST have an 'R' plug. The way the ignition is designed it needs the additional resistance to run correctly.

I mistakenly fitted a BP6ES a couple of years ago and spent a few weeks wondering why the bike was running pants - working back through what I had changed I eventually checked and changed the plug. Check for the response from Martin Belair on this subject.

Having tried a few plugs on various 315s over the last few years its my humble opinion :banana: that THE plug to have is the:

NGK BPR6EIX

This has an Iridium electrode and gives the best performance (even better than the Bosch chaps). It's a couple of quid more but worth every penny - big fat spark no matter how slowly you kick the bike over. The Denso IW20 is the equivalent plug.

There's also the NGK BPR6EVX which is the Platinum version (equivalent to the WR8DP), not quite as good in delivering an absolutely rock solid tickover and crisp throttle response.

Try www.sparkplugs.co.uk, I know they ship to the EU, I'm sure if you twist their arm they can drop a couple of plugs out to the island. Order two, the EIX will last forever, but its always nice to have a spare.

P.S. I have also just put an EIX plug in a KTM EXC 200 that was a pig to start, its transformed the bike. Starts first time every time even when its bounced 40 yrds down the track and been upside down - you could see the difference in the spark on kick over from the standard one.