Evo 300 Miss Fire

stevenmorrison

hi need some help with my evo 300 only 0ne week old

1st time out was fine apart from trying to get it to start 2nd time out start to hesitate.

Also it doesn't rev very high and it stuttered

replaced plug and fitted new kill switch still the same?

Any ideas

evo 300 only 0ne week old - Any ideas

Yep - take it back

But first check a few obvious things...

Daft, but if you previously had a 2T - you didn't use fuel with oil in it did you?

The choke has two clicks / settings. Are you pushing ALL the way in after starting? Leaving it on the first click WILL cause those symptoms.

Is the HOT START button closed. Leaving it open will cause those symptoms.

Starting should be really easy. If you had a 2T before, you need to modify your technique. NO short jabs - NO throttle. Nice steady push all the way through from the top should do it.

And seriously, if its none of the above - take it back to the dealer.

Edited by Fivemeister

New 4T bikes will not rev out because they have not been run in. Take it easy on the bike for the first few weeks, really easy! - the bike needs the time to run in.

When it is run in you will likely need to fit a smaller main jet as the bikes are sent out from the factory a little rich. Ask Lampkins for the mods to do to the carb. I did what was suggested by them to my Rev4T and it runs ssssssso much better for a couple of simple mods. Get a Jetsie mixture screw for the bike as it makes tuning easy.

Finally - did you make an error fitting the new kill button and perhaps now have a wire shorting out on the frame?

Ralphy

if you'd bought a new VW car and after 1 week it spluttered and stopped, would you lift the bonnet change the plugs and put a new ignition switch on then go to an internet forum and ask what you can 'fix' next.........

had a montesa 4rt befor the evo

choke and hot start both in. it was like that befor fitted new kill switch

just thot it was down to being new but was ok when had it first time out

did not start playing up till later on in the trial 2nd time out

would take it back to dealer but 6hour drive to do that going to check the carb the night if still the same just put it to dealer

thanks for the tips

Pulled from the Evo4T thread......

Found one to watch with this bike though. The engine breather exits into the bottom of the air box. After a big off and the bike being upside down - then going down a steep hill, my bike began popping and farting all over the place. I later discovered the engine had spat some oil out of the breather into the bottom of the airbox and this must have then been pulled / poured through the carb when going downhill causing the popping and banging. Worth checking if ever you have a big off.