In Praise Of Sherco

bikespace

I've been riding my '05 250 Sherco now for just over a year and i cant believe how reliable they are, still on original chain and sprockets,brake pads. Put a new back tyre on and change gear oil fairly regulary and clean carb out. The only thing i didnt like about the stock bike was the handlebars, so i put a pair of renthals on and they just seem that bit more comfier :unsure: I changed to Sherco after 3 years on scorpa which was pretty reliable, so i expected the odd problem, but theres been nothing gone wrong, i just need to sort out the numpty on top of it now :rolleyes:

There was a bad batch of kickstarts on the 04's.

Since 01 I have had 6 shercos, had one ignition pack up (within 1 hour of starting it) one thermostat fail (bad batch 02 i think) and only consumables apart from that. Always used IRIS trialpro chains and chain lube get through 2 chains a year when riding locally, one if not.

;) Hey BS - That is good news on the Sherco - As a dealer I sure as hell don't get rich on Sherco parts sales - but then again when I go riding I don't need to fix the bikes either. - remember the 99 you saw at the Outlaw? - still going strong after being totally abused by the previous owner plus being ridden in a cross country race by owner #2 when the clutch was slipped big time to keep 4th gear ( I know because he told me) I think Sherco have a very dedicated and enthusiastic staff similar to the Bultaco days of old, they try very hard to get things right. This year I rode the 4T until I got the starting sorted then had a 2T for a while - both bikes brilliant and I support Sherco 100%

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed there were posts about using WD-40 on chains. I've done the same on street machines because the chains don't end up covered with a glop of dirt/grease that's really grinding paste. Stopped using the WD-40 because even thought it cleans well and does some temp lubing, it's gone in a few miles and there's no lube effect. Started using a spray called MFR. Goes on thin like WD-40, but evaporates and leaves a dry lube material on the chain. I'm getting 4k miles between adjustments on street bikes. Could still clean the chain with WD, let it evaporate, or run it a little, then apply the MFR. I think the MFR would work as a cleaner and a lube, but WD might be cheaper just for cleaning. I had to order some cans of MFR from the following link.

http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/chainlube.html

:rolleyes: Don - I agree with you on the chain lube thing - We sell

a Product called Opti-Pro which is manufactured in Canada, This also acts to dispell water and leaves an oil base to lube the chain and protect it from rust plus we use it for spraying on spoke nipples after washing the bike to stop any rust & breakage problem - it is available at most chainsaw dealers in the USA and Motorcycle Dealers in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
:D My 04 290 has been the most reliable bike I've had in 24 years ,just needed consumables.I use a jitsie air filter and clean it and airbox every trial,change gearbox oil bi-monthly,everything works like new.I spray all the metal work with wd 40 but use chainlube liberrally,and its stiill on the original.I find it far more capable than I'll ever be, but would prefer a useable 4th for the mud.Maybe I got a better than average one,but I'd definetly have another