Suzuki Ts185

belldane

Hi all

Mu query is not related to a trials bike but I am sure someone out there can help.

I have just bought an old 82 model TS 185 to get my young grandson used to riding bikes. The clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. My problem is that I have undone all screws holding the cover on but it won't budge!!! Something else is preventing me from removing it. Any ideas?? I am sure one of you people have pulled one of these bikes apart before. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Edited by belldane

Hi, Just to add to what Dave said. The clutch release mechanism on the Suzuki TS185 is a rack and pinion arrangement. The clutch cable is attached to a lever under the small front cover on the right side. The lever turns a shaft which runs through the clutch cover casting and ends with a small pinion gear. The pinion gear meshes with a short rack gear attached to the clutch pressure plate.

To remove the clutch cover the shaft has to be able to rotate so the pinion can disengage from the rack as you lift the cover away.

Double check that you havent missed any casing screws and a sharp tap with a rubber mallet should break the gasket seal.

Same thing applies when you rebuild, make sure the pinion engages properly with the rack as you fit the clutch casing.

I'd replace the springs along with the plates as they tend to stretch and lose their tension.

best of luck with it

Rich

• 3 weeks later...