05 280 Pro

ptradam

So, after further thought and inspection, I realized that the allen bolt that holds the clutch pack on isn't hollow like it should be. I know that this bike had been apart before and someone must have replaced this bolt with one that isn't hollow. Maybe they broke the original? I figure this is the source of my problem. Anyway, I have heard of guys running the bike without this particular bolt in place. Anyone out there have any personal experience with this?

So, after further thought and inspection, I realized that the allen bolt that holds the clutch pack on isn't hollow like it should be. I know that this bike had been apart before and someone must have replaced this bolt with one that isn't hollow. Maybe they broke the original? I figure this is the source of my problem. Anyway, I have heard of guys running the bike without this particular bolt in place. Anyone out there have any personal experience with this?

I know several riders who leave out the drilled capscrew. Be sure to take the stepped washer out too or you will have engine damage. The pressure of the servo cylinder on the clutch fingers holds the hub on. I run the washer and special capscrew in my Pro (loose parts inside of an engine make me nervous for some reason), but I've never heard of any problems with it left out.

Jon

Yeah, loose parts make me nervous too! I think I'll get the right bolt.

I know I'm always harping on this, but be sure to use a new Allen wrench or dress about 5mm off the end of an old one to keep the flutes sharp and to keep from stripping Allen capscrews. This is especially important with the special shaved down head on the clutch hub capscrew (this allows extra clearance with the end of the servo cylinder) and the aluminum drain and fill plugs in the Pro (or any other bike). Most riders don't realize that Allen ends wear and the flutes round over and this is the most common cause of stripped capscrews.

I use a little blue Loctite ("serviceable" type, as opposed the "non-serviceable" red, stud and bearing mount type) the on the clutch hub capscrew. If that backs out, the servo cylinder will bottom against it and the clutch lever will hit a solid spot when pulled in and the clutch will not fully release.

Jon