Rear Silencer Rebuild?

My garelli rear silencer always had a rattle coming from the inside, so now i've rebuilt the engine i thought i should sort the silencer out???

So i've carefully cut the back off the box with an ultra slim cutting disc, and when i opened it up WOW WHAT THE HELL????

inside its got a pipe coming from the front of the box about 4" long going through a plate and then another 3 plates with small openings alternating at the top and bottom and the last plate has a short perferated pipe going out the back??? it seems quite a restrictive design to me, i was thinking about removing the plates and modifiying it to like a modern design with one long perferated pipe and packing around it???? i'll post some pics tommorow

what do you think??

The rear box on a Pampera I once had was a similar design. I cut out all the bulkheads and installed a straight perforated tube as you are proposing to do and it ran a lot better, especially at the top end which had been stifled before. It wasn't necessary to re-jet either, but you might have to do this. Yes it was marginally noisier on full chat, but there was no real difference at low revs. The sheep will soon get used to it :P

The rear box on a Pampera I once had was a similar design. I cut out all the bulkheads and installed a straight perforated tube as you are proposing to do and it ran a lot better, especially at the top end which had been stifled before. It wasn't necessary to re-jet either, but you might have to do this. Yes it was marginally noisier on full chat, but there was no real difference at low revs. The sheep will soon get used to it :P

Thanks, i spoke to someone at a trials shop today and he said the same it will improve the strangled engine if i cut all the junk out!!

Edited by hop blip and a jump