2004 2.9 Gearing Question

jow

Hi,

Have just got a 2004 Sherco 2.9 which has been softened up apparently by a slow action throttle and tuned down gearing, at the moment the gearing is 9t to 48t I think, but what would standard be for the bike, I assume something like 10t : 44t???

any help much appreciated!

Also, has anyone heard of placing a spaced in between the carburetor in order to soften the bike?

cheers

j0

ok thanks for that, does the spacer actually soften the power, or smooth it out? because didn't a spacer come fitted to the 05 bikes as standard, i.e. should I keep it?cheers

ok thanks for that, does the spacer actually soften the power, or smooth it out? because didn't a spacer come fitted to the 05 bikes as standard, i.e. should I keep it?cheers

In theory the spacer properly placed between the reed cage and cyl will reduce crankcase pressure a bit accross the range. Not a lot, though, on a 5mm spacer, just a minor tuning device that was used that year as the bikes(2.9) were quite aggressive. All that seemed to change with the '06 being stronger accross the band yet less abrupt on the power hit in MHO. All just tweaks!

I tried some gearing changes on my '03, which was more aggressive than the '05. I settled on the 10/44 rear to minimize the thrust of the bike a bit.

Made the range change to 4th and 5th gears much more usable on the trail as well. Not a bad arrangement, just a bit different. :D

Unless a spacer has been added by a previous owner then your bike being an 04 will not have one. The factory started fitting them in 05 and I think they changed the exhaust front pipe as well.

Are you trying to soften the power even further or merely curious to see what the standard power should be?

Hi, no I've only just acquired the bike, and it is fitted with a spacer, (well looks like two spacers???), and would like to return the bike to its standard factory spec! i.e. more power

should the carb. have a metal to metal fit and no spacers?? a pic of the standard carb setup would be really useful if someone has one knocking about!

cheers

j0

Hi, no I've only just acquired the bike, and it is fitted with a spacer, (well looks like two spacers???), and would like to return the bike to its standard factory spec! i.e. more power

should the carb. have a metal to metal fit and no spacers?? a pic of the standard carb setup would be really useful if someone has one knocking about!

cheers

j0

The parts illustration shows the carb, then the carb adapter rubber(seals itself?), then the reed block, then the M041 gasket, then the motor.

The illustrations are online at www. sherco-moto.com or RYPUSA.com or shercousa.com

An additional gasket would be required on the motor side of the reed block if the(1)added spacer was installed.

Frankly, I would leave one spacer in as it takes it to basic '05 spec., as many of those that have ridden these bikes over the period have needed to mellow them a bit to make them less aggressive and more user friendly for the average punter. The absolute difference with the one spacer is sort of nil though, as previously stated. :D