2002 Sherco 2.9 Thinking Of Buying One

liviob

I'm thinking of buying an 2002 sherco 2.9. It seems to have been well cared for. I would like to hear your thoughts and experiances of this bike. Are they reliable? Any foul handling issues? How does it compare to modern bikes? Thanks Livio

Are you sure, I've got a 02, a 07 and a 09 in the garage and I reckon they are all geared the same. I might have to go out and check now.

I think that would hold true unless it was a very late production bike. Seems I recall Ishy ran the 125 in the Scottish that year and his had the prototype gearing which was just out.

You can verify with him if he ever returns from TN, as I seen he took a DNF today, very unlike him.

I had '01 and '03 2.9's , as I recall the '01 had slightly lower gearing in 1'st than now, and then the changes to find the mix. ;)

Currently i weigh 250lbs. ride at high altitude, and just begining to ride intermediate trials here in Colo. It couldnt be more powerful than my 290 evo could it.

Well, if you are on a 290 EVO, why would you want to change to an older bike?

My general impression by comparison and having ridden both(yet many years have past)

The 290 EVO9(at 290cc) is a torque monster, possibly more so than a 300 Gasser. Seemed quite liner in my brief ride, yet will pull arms out if you continue to twist! Probably works good at altitude.

The '02 2.9(272cc) Sherco was easy enough to ride, yet I think it had the ignition timing too jacked up initially as compared, then add the taller first gear, then a fairly aggressive midrange hit that could put you on your ass in a heartbeat! Less linear than the Beta.

Reduced timing and a set of Boyesens help smooth things out, but this bike requires a real rider nontheless, would still be considered aggressive at near sea level.

Might work well for you? ;)

Edited by copemech