Starting Problems :(

l1ndon

Sorry to dominate the thread :thumbup:

My Cota 315 (2001) was running fine - I wanted to check the coolant, so I took the tank off to fill it up - since then it wont start.

It actually started once, and while it was running around with the choke still on, it stopped and refused to start again.

I left the fuel tap on the other night - could that have anything to do with it (i remembered the next day, so it shouldnt still be flooded a day later should it?)

Where should I start looking - spark plug - carb - I'm a total newbie to trials bikes- though I do know a bit about car engines (its got fuel in - compression seems good on kick)

thanks

Lindon

thanks mate -

I think I might be onto something - I first cleaned the sparkplug which was a bit black but nothing major (checked the gap it was fine)

I then thought I better check the fuel supply - I pulled the pipe off the bottom of the tank and tried to blow in it, but nothing happened - so I took the carb chamber off, and there was no fuel in, and I still couldnt blow through the pipe (carb was very mucky on the air side)

Blew reaaaaly hard and some little jet popped down (above the float arm mechanism), and now I can blow air through until I press the mechanism, so I'm guessing it was blocked by dirt?!

I'll give it all a spray with some carb cleaner - should I take this jet out (I think its the needle - valve) or will it start getting complicated - is it supposed to be spring loaded or gravity operated?

-update- put it all back together and its working great - how come there was so much dirt in the carb?

You need to clean your air filter after every trial, Get a spare one thats ready to rock and roll, Whilst your cleaning your other one.

YOu need to clean your carb out like you have done, Every other trial or after a really muddy trial or where you've been around deep water.

Dirt gets in the carb fairly easy with trials bikes through the air boxes, Especially on a 315.

Have you got some mesh over the holes in the Seat part of the mudguard?? If not get the wifes Siv out of the kitchen, Cut some appropiate sized squares out of it. Take the Rear mudguard of and get the glued to the back of the holes.

This will stop alot of dirt getting to the airbox