Trials Newbie From Canada, Eh!

speedymaniac

Just thought I'd introduce myself, and ask a few questions. First off, the introduction....

I finally picked up a 1999 GasGas TXT270 a couple weeks ago after being harassed by my sponsor (GasGas Pacific) for way too long about getting into trials riding. About me, well, I'm 23 years old, mechanical engineer, live in beautiful BC and love riding motorcycles! I started riding 9 years ago, then started racing harescrambles about 7 years ago. In 2007 I race the ISDE in Chile but DNF'd when the top end seized after a mix up with fuel (straight gas in a two-stroke is BAD). Last year I again raced the ISDE, this time in Greece. I had some mechanical issues (tire balls went flat) and health issues (flu, then broke my foot on day 5) but made it through with a bronze medal. Still a little disappointed since I know I'm capable of getting a silver at least! Right now I'm racing the A (eh?) class here in Canada and will hopefully move up to the AA/Pro class next year provided things go well this year.

So, I have some experience on dirt bikes, but this trials thing is all new to me! I'm used to going fast, so slowing down is a little weird right now. The bike I picked up (1999 TXT270) is in pretty good shape and this way I don't feel guilty when I crash on it. The only issue right now is fixing the kill switch as it's not working after a tip over last week.

So, that's about it for me, though I have a few questions. I'm pretty much a rank beginner on a trials bike, so I'm wondering where/how I should start out learning this new type of riding? I've been playing in the yard trying to balance, do tight turns, wheelie, nose wheelie, etc. I'm having trouble doing stationary balancing, are there any tricks? Are there any good sources of info online for basic trials skills? I've heard Ryan Young makes some great training DVDs but money is tight (enduros use up all my $$$ and then some) so I'm trying to keep trials riding cheap (for now). Plus I need to get some proper trials boots and a helmet!

Thanks everyone!

Steve

Trent and I are good friends - we went to Greece last year for the ISDE. Right now his trials skills are way beyond mine so it might be tough to ride together on the trials bikes. Rest assured I'm hoping I can catch up to him soon!