Gearbox Shims On A Mont 349

thedktor

I've done a few, and asked the local Montesa guru about it before I did the first one, and he said," There isn't realy a spec, but you're pretty much aiming for zero." So, I said I had 2 or 3 thou, and he said "That's fine." Basically, just able to detect a slight motion is what you want. I think 10 thou would probably be as much as you'de ever want to see....

I've done a few, and asked the local Montesa guru about it before I did the first one, and he said," There isn't realy a spec, but you're pretty much aiming for zero." So, I said I had 2 or 3 thou, and he said "That's fine." Basically, just able to detect a slight motion is what you want. I think 10 thou would probably be as much as you'de ever want to see....

OK, thanks - that was kinda my thoughts as well.

I did indeed make careful notes of the shims, but because I'm fitting the shafts into a different engine some adjustments will be needed I think.

Steve

• 10 years later...

Well for various reasons I still have a 349 engine in many pieces after all this time, but it's now come to the front of the queue yay!

But I have no idea where to start with the gearbox shims, any clues?  Do I centre the shafts or is one side the "reference" and you shim the opposite side to take out the play, or what?  

And should I assemble in the right case?  I recall reading that somewhere.

Thanks for any pointers.

Intro 9.jpg

20200417_155816.jpg