James Carb

pocket

Hi all,

Have a 250 replica james I have recently finished. The only problem is the carb. I have it on a MK1 amal 24mm, 20 pilot, 130 main and 105 needle with the clip in the top notch. The slide is a brass one and is a 3. Whilst it was fine at the previous trial it ran really rich on Saturday and cost me marks. The carb is a nearly new one so don't think there are any issues there.

I am open to ideas as know they can be a bit funny on carburation. Thinking of a dellorto as they are faily cheap on e-bay.

Any views welcome.

Cheers Steve

Are you sure it isn't a problem with electrics giving a weak spark and giving the impression of running rich. It would be very unusual for a carb that hasn't been touched to start running rich at the next event unless a jet is loose or float needle sticking etc. The 250 Villiers should run fine on an Amal MK1 although it would usually be a 26mm rather than 24mm. Mate of mine has a 37a engine on a MK1 which gives no problem at all.

Before you fit a Dellorto I'd check the rules of clubs you ride with. Riding an easy route in a modern event, no-one will care what carb you have but for Pre65 events I can't think of any club that would like a Dellorto fitted, has to be British - the only exception I know of is Yorkshire Classic who allow bored out Cubs to have a Dellorto for some reason

Hi

Was it rich throughout the whole range or a particular bit.

Can't think why it should suddenly go rich but worth checking the float level anyway. The best setting is when the top of the float is approx. 2 mm below the top of the bowl with the float needle fully seated.( Press on the float tang, not the needle, and make sure the float pin does not move up out of its seat.)

Good luck