Knocking Sy250 - Costs?

grahamjayzee

Hi All,

I have been offered an SY250 cheap. It has a knock which the owner suspects may be the clutch basket. I haven't heard it, but my finger of suspicion points at the bottom end, probably the big end.

Does anyone know:

1. Is it possible to re-shell the big end as a home mechanic job?

2. Approximately how much will the parts be?

3. Does anyone know approximately how much a dealer will charge to repair a duff bottom end.

I'll ask some dealer's too, but any rough pointers will help me decide if this is worth going ahead with.

Many Thanks

Graham

It has a needle roller big end,not shells.You need a press to replace the big end,beyond what most non mechanics/engineers can do.If it is the big end,I doubt if the rest of the motor is that good either.Go and have a good look/listen,clutch basket noise shuts up when the clutch is pulled in.Sorry to p...s on your firework,but old worn out trials bikes can get expensive.Unless it's incredibly cheap,you're often better off buying one thats right.

Yep, those are my own rules!

I didn't know it was a roller big end. I already asked if the noise is affected by the clutch operation and it isn't. The other thing someone on here found is the kickstart idler gear can be loose on the shaft if the clip has come off. This will make a fair knock but will stop of the bike is leant to the left.

It is, however, very cheap and the cycle parts are all good. If the engine can be fixed for