Scottish Practice Area Threat?

02-apr

Because these pages must be read by those opposed to our sport I will not identify this area by name but suffice to say it is not too far from Edinburgh and I think those of us who can take preventive action will know where I mean.

As far as I know trials riders have co-existed with the strollers, dog walkers and horse riders that also use this location for at least half a century with no real complaints, if any. The nature of the venue is such that, unless anyone is right there next to the bikes, they probably don't know they are there. The development of a nearby attraction for Sunday drivers has multiplied enormously the numbers of the general public that come close to the place and indeed walk in the woods. Remember it seems to have been the Sunday driver mentality that cost use of Addingham Moorside.

I happened to be passing today and thought I would pop in to see if I knew any of the riders there, the parked vans being the giveaway to the knowledgeable, but I didn't recognise anyone though they "used to ride trials" apparently. No problem there but they seemed to have brought their motocrosser riding pals along. I may be wrong and the attendance was just coincidence. The principle is the same however, I've never seen motocrossers there before and the noise carried quite a distance, advertising the presence. I'm not averse to motocrossers and know the problems of finding places to ride them - I did a few seasons of enduros in the dim and distant past and never found anywhere I was prepared to inflict practising upon, and certainly not this place.

This week's local paper carried the story of the latest police weapon to "tackle the scourge of illegal off road motorcyclists" so it's a high profile issue in the locale with no discrimination made between sensible trials practice and a bunch of youths thrashing a stolen machine before torching it, or anything in between.

The point of this, which some will no doubt see as merely a rant, is: let's screw the nut and try to keep the noisy bikes away, especially if practising is the only form of trials riding you do as we can't afford to lose this area. It won't be a case of a piece of waste land lost but a good venue which many will regard as part of the heritage of trials in the east of Scotland. The real pity is that there really is no point in using a motocrosser there, due to the flat as a pancake nature of the ground outwith the sections it must be about as much fun as having a hurl up the M8 on one.

Edited by 2/4

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem is that you CAN'T keep them away, therfore best solution is to keep as far away from them as poss, and maybe choose alternative times to go so as to limit your chances of being associated with them.

I was wondering however who owns the land? i have just bought my first trials bike and am in process of joining local club, but having absolutely no previous trial exp. i have been scouring the area for potential practice areas near glasgow.

however, turns out there is an area of hillside local to the inlaws that is forestry commission land and is regular used by the local 'yee ha's' on their motocross bikes etc. if no bikes had been there i probably wouldn't have considered it, but it is well used enough for it to be considered suitable.

i was wondering however, can i get into a lot of trouble for doing so, as i definately don't want to be associated with the sort you mention, and ultimately aren't looking for/ be bothered with any hassle. I'm simply wanting to practice my technique, get used to the bike etc.

has anyone had much experience of the consequences of riding perhaps where their not meant too?

and obviously if anyone has any knowledge of practice areas they wish to share with me feel free :-)

P.s. to be fair ,the guys i have passed when out walking have been as respectfull as you can be when passing on such bikes. It's just that they make so much noise, and attract far too much attention.