Middlesbrough 2 Day - How Was It For You?

1st gear steve

The 1st 2 day at its new venue @ woodhead farm Fryup ran at the weekend - it was well supported (for a 1st attempt) with 106 accross the weekend.

The club trialled a new flagging system (3 routes), that like anything takes time to get used to, how did you find it? any opinion?

The route had to be dramatically altered for the Sunday due to the wet weather on the Thurs & Fri, the land cut up in areas - any opinions?

The venue as a whole - any comments / opinions, the club hopes to build on the 1st attempt & has earmarked some of it's Large trophies from Yesteryear to present to class winners.

Did you enjoy it? if so why (will you back next year) or if not why, all feedback can help.

As a charity event (Great North Air ambulance) the level of peoples generosity was incredible - havent got a final total yet, but looks to be close to

Thanks for all your efforts in putting on a great trialing weekend. Looking at the pictures from August, a huge amount of work had gone in to making the land and particularly the stream sections rideable. Those streams must have taken a lot of scrubbing to get them into condition be able to ride as the rocks looked very green in the pictures but actually rode great over the weekend.

At the first section we were greeted with a mass of different coloured flags and everyone unsure of where to go, however after walking the section, all became apparent and it became easier to follow as you got used to the new section markings.

I do like the concept of the three courses and after riding it in the neighbouring North East Centre I know it works and is very succesfull. Whether our Centre now adopts it is another matter, however Scarborough do run an Expert Masters route at their Club Trials so variations on a similar theme are already taking place.

I rode Clubman A and found the sections just about right, with nothing dangerous or intimidating.

Only negative was the two way traffic on the tracks between sections. I had a couple of near misses from on-coming riders going too quick particularly coming up from the start field and on Sunday near sections 10-11 and 12 on the very narrow sheep track. This needs to be addressed because of the safety aspect. Once the full extent of the land is utilised then a full loop will probably be able to be used without track sharing.

Have you just scratched the surface with this land and is a longer lap possible?

Great venue and two excellent days of Trialing enabling a worthwhile cause to receive a good donation.

Thanks John B

I'll second that, enjoyed every minute of my Sunday day out, sections were spot on for me,mixture of all terrain.

I understand that John Watson has me fighting the gasser on Section 02 trying not to flip it 360, should be a good piccy!!!

Congrats to the organisers and all at MDMC, the club needed new blood at the top to mix it up with the traditionalists. Big shout for Paul and Steve.

Are we to expect similar events/sections at the Vic Boyes and next years Cleveland, I for one can't wait.

Yours in sport.

DJ.

Thanks for the comments gents, Totally agree with you John regarding the 2 way traffic as well.

We will start planning next years event as soon as the Cleveland is out of the way - when we can see how the land looks before it is overgrown.

There is a lot more scope - we only used a fraction of the wood - this extends, about another half mile the other way where i am led to believe finishes with another rocky gully.plenty further back. Also the section where my dad observed on the Sunday - the rock strewn hill side facing that has not even been looked at, then to finish off down in the valley there are several rocky stream gullies to be explored. I think it may take a few years before we are running at it's full potential. but it should get bigger & better each year - Hopefully we will be blessed with better weather next year & more will stay over, just to enhance it further.

Paul Has a copy of some photos taken by Mrs Lees - when he is next in the club they will go onto the web site, I am told there are some crackers & to watch out for a 'great' one of Baz Chapman

Baz might not thank us for that pic mind. It was a shame we had to have some 2 way traffic but the bracken got the best of us at the end, i know steve himself spent 3 hours chopping out a track to solve this which ended at a bracken engulfed dry stone wall ( and a few choice words ). the venue is top notch and can only get better as we learn more about it, and like steve said we will start a lot earlier next year and if the brothers grim get phil's falls ready your in for a treat. barry overy knows of a huge graded hill climb on there that we will be looking for next year. i would like to thank the lads who helped us before and during the weekend and if anyone would like to give us a hand next year please let us know, as this is on a national park a lot of walking is involved in the working parties so its good exercise lads. John i will definately be pushing to get the centre to go with the 3 routes, there were a lot of people there from other clubs who thought it went well so fingers crossed it will be in for next year (i will try mate). but the 2 day is not in a championship so we can mark that out how we want.

cheers lads. paul