199b Sherpa T Frame Measurements

scottie_b205

I just aquired a Bultaco Sherpa T 199B model thats in need of resto. I had to cut the swingarm pivot bolt off to remove the swingarm. Hammering away at the pivot did nothing except leave me with bent frame mouting tabs where the pivot runs through. Heat didn't work in helping the bolt come out.

I would like to know how much play is between the swingarm bushing ends (the steel inserts) and the frame?

Could anyone tell me the width between the frame from side to side at the swingarm pivot?

If that is a problem, how about the width between the frame and the rear engine mount?

Thanks

215mm or about 8 1/2" between the inner faces on that gusset.

Oh and it's a shame you felt you had to revert to such treatment, but it's a lesson learnt! Thats how we all learn eh... I know it's how I did !

The spindles can sieze in 1,2 or all 3 of the steel parts it passes through. Last one I did was my own 199B and that was siezed to both inner bushes but not the engine mount.

If after a couple of taps I find the spindle has not moved at all I automatically treat it as scrap and use basically the same method to get the swinging arm out. That involves drilling a hole about 12-13mm diameter dead central into both ends of the spindle to a depth that ends up about 1/2" past the inside of the frame.

Obviously with the engine out a few sharp clouts on the front of the swinging arm breaks it free as the ends of the spindle collapse and break away.

Once out its much easier to deal with, usually with more drillng.

I try to avoid hacksawing the spindle when still in the frame even if the frame can be spread a little to give you a gap to allow it as you can end up with a floppy mess if only one side can be cut. You have to try avoid cutting into the boss on the rear engine mount as it's width is part of the tolerance stack that controls end float.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

Thank you for the measurement. Now I can see how far out I really am.

I actually saved the inner steel sleeve. I soaked it in penetrating oil for a week but that didn't help. I ended up taking it to work and placing it in a press. What was left of the swingarm pivot really didn't want to budge. I used my mapping gas torch to heat up the sleeve and after some more pressure it started to give. It finally came out after moving about a 5mm every time I applied pressure. The sleeve is all cleaned up now. A new pivot bolt is on its way.

Thanks again, Scott