Braking: Bike Trials Transitioning To Motorcycle

I've been riding bicycle trials for years and now that I'm starting to ride motorcycle trials I'm having trouble remembering to use the rear brake, I keep instinctively grabbing the front brake because it's where the the rear brake on my bike is.

Has anyone else had this problem?

How did you get over it?

I also came from bike trials and had a hard time remembering about the bake brake at first, i spent a few outings just concentrating on the rear brake and trying to remember it was there and just playing with it, been riding for 5 months now and am now making good use of the back brake.

I had this problem too! And furthermore my brake pedal was set a bit higher than needed so it was really hard to put foot tip on it in time and usually i didn't do it! :thumbup:

Lately i set pedal lower and start feeling it more comfortable so only one thing has left to do - concentrating on rear brake pedal when going to brake or when going to get on some obstacle and brake. Just before take off i'm thinking about foot tip but keep it near pedal and when airborne slide foot tip to cover pedal and push.

I was making habit of foot braking about 5 months, so now i usually do it automatically but sometimes need to think about it.

Good luck.

I was thinking about switching the brake lever on the bike, but decided it would hurt me in bike trials, and it seems there are lots of people who ride both so i guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

I'm considering taking the front brake lever off for a few rides since I'm not doing anything big it should be safe, hopefully that will force me to start using the rear brake instead.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I found a really good practice technique to start using back brake and clutch instinctively was to do a wheelie from standstill,move forward about a metre,come abruptly to a stop,repeat endlessly,moving forward in 1m 'jumps'.In 3rd.I wasn,t coming from bicycle trials though.I was coming from a Greeves Scottish that didn't really have a rear brake so I never really used it.Clutch wasn't that great either. Also,doing figure of 8 on full lock will be a great help for clutch and b/brake use

Edited by anyoldiron