Electric Trials Bike

gwhy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the whole electric bike thing is probaabley were we are going, but for me a big part of the off road experience is the bikes sound. I have ridden motocross, trials and enduro all on 2 strokes and the thing that makes me grin is the sound. I have also ridden bmx upto national standard, what im think is and wondered how other people felt if the day came when we had to ride bikes with no sound, would that be the end of off road sport? for me i think it would. i think i would go back to push bikes, without the sound whats the point? Cheers Dean

I totally agree with the above, have been riding bike for years and love the sound of them, if electric is the way we are going then I will look to a different sport, further more can electric really compete with what we have as now.

I totally agree with the above, have been riding bike for years and love the sound of them, if electric is the way we are going then I will look to a different sport, further more can electric really compete with what we have as now.

As I have already said in a previous post electric bikes do make a noise its just different and quieter ( sounds more like a turbo ). And as far as can they compete with what we have now.. hell of course they can performance wise, there is just the problem of range ( cost of batterys is the limiting factor ).

Personally, I can't wait for a credible & affordable adult size electric bike. My son rides an Oset all over the place and no one takes offence. If it was a convensionaly powered bike, the neighbours would have called to police out the first time they heard it.

I too like the sound of bikes, but I'm willing to get over the sound thing if electric bikes mean more places to ride.

You never know Councils, Local Authorities and the water compaines may even open up there land to silent, zero pollution 'ECO' trials events.

A very small update, if anyone is intrested.

Well I havent a heard a dicky bird from the chap who offered to make the frame for me so it looks like I will have to give it ago myself ( wont be until we start getting better weather tho ). I have also found a small problem with the electronics in my setup, the control of the bike is not very user friendly so some adjustment of some parameters are in order , the electronic 'clutch' needs a bit of work and also the throttle is a bit on and off'ish so I will be incorporating a throttle resolution 3 position switch ( hopefully this will mimic a 3 speed gearbox ).

• 4 months later...

Well its been ages, so I thought I will give this topic a little bump.

My welding skills is coming along and have managed to start making a frame ( but I dont think its going to be the lightest thing in the world but its a start ). The bike what I have used to test the motor/controller and battery is holding up well and great fun to ride ( with more than enough power/speed for easy/novice routes and range) the frame that I'm trying to make will have enough space to use a electric motor that has twice the power of my current test bike so should be good enough for hard/expert routes but with the cost of maybe 1 battery swap in a typical 4 loop trial.

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Another little bump update:

Frame is sort of finished, I was originally going to use lightweight DH forks but the cost would be huge so opted for some motorcycle forks and I have been trying to source a cheap set that would be common enough to get spares or to replace/tune . This is the latest thing that is holding things up because I cant fit the steerer tube to the frame until I have some forks to get the angles/wheelbase right. Apart from this holding things up its all looking good and I have started to look forward to actually ride this thing on a easy route trial in the not to distant future, hopefully before the end of the summer... :agreed:

• 6 months later...

Just another little bump... :thumbup: Just to try to keep this topic active. I have not got on as well as I have hoped with frame building.. But now its beginning to come together ( and Im on about my 4th prototype frame :blush:) . I have also been working on a much better speed controller that will be much better suited to the abuse that a electric trials bike will demand.

Edited by gwhy

Just another little bump... :thumbup: Just to try to keep this topic active. I have got on as well as I have hoped with frame building.. But now its beginning to come together ( and Im on about my 4th prototype frame :blush:) . I have also been working on a much better speed controller that will be much better suited to the abuse that a electric trials bike will demand.

Would love to see some pics of your prototype. The suspense is killing me!!!

Thanks Andy, I found it :thumbup:

I Should have a rolling chassis by the end of the weekend, I will take some pics and get them up. The bike will be made with cycle components to keep the weight down, Im still looking for the complete bike to be around 25-30kg ready to ride and so far the frame/wheels/forks and shock weighs in at around 16kg so Im well on target. Also after a few tries at putting the pivot point in the same place as a gas trials and keeping the swingarm the same length I have given up for now.. and gone for a slightly easer design. There is also going to be a cycle bottom bracket on this bike so it can have peddles fitted so it can be ridden on the road as a push bike ( sort of legal if kept to 250W max for the road )except the motor/motors can produce upto around 11KW (15hp) The peddles will be quickly removable and allow foot pegs installed very easily. I want something that I can "cycle" upto the local wood/park/play area ;) .