2000 - Txt 280 Tripple Clamp

djbordie

Hello, finally got a bike.

Great shape, very very happy.

Im not too worried about this problem but would love to fix it.

My Tripple Clamp has a small crack in it.

Should i just have it welded? or where can i find a replacement?

I cant find this part anywhere online for this year...tons of 2003+ but not a 2000.

If its the same as a 2003 TXT, then im golden and can just buy it. But im not sure and am new to trials.

Thank you in advance

Also should i bother fiddling with the preload? im new, and probably wouldnt know a difference yet...however im 180lbs and want it at least in the zone.

Edited by djbordie

Hello, finally got a bike.

Great shape, very very happy.

Im not too worried about this problem but would love to fix it.

My Tripple Clamp has a small crack in it.

Should i just have it welded? or where can i find a replacement?

I cant find this part anywhere online for this year...tons of 2003+ but not a 2000.

If its the same as a 2003 TXT, then im golden and can just buy it. But im not sure and am new to trials.

Thank you in advance

Also should i bother fiddling with the preload? im new, and probably wouldnt know a difference yet...however im 180lbs and want it at least in the zone.

First, I personally would replace the triple tree. It's a REALLY critical part and you can get REALLY hurt if it breaks. It's probably the lower one as owner's often do not use anti-seize and a torque wrench and don't alternate between the two capscrews when tightening so they end up over tightening, and the capscrews are uneven on torque, which creates stress.

The lower tree has the steering axle pressed into it and I think you may have the steel axle. The later ones are aluminum, so the 03' would most likely not fit yours (for instance, the 01' and 03' steering axles are different part numbers- ST950400 for 01' vs. BT280214003 for 03'). Your local dealer can get you one, but you will probably need a press to remove/install properly.

As for preload, you might add about 6-8mm to the preload collar to start with, but I'd start with raising the oil level a little (say, add 320cc's of 5 weight fork oil to completely flushed/dry fork leg when servicing them, as opposed to the 300cc's as standard).

Jon

Another thing:

Up on the stand when in gear, the clutch doesnt seem to do much...or stop the wheel.

maybe the clutch oil needs changing? or the plates are good and stuck from storage (i hear this happens to trials bikes)

now to figure out how to change that oil...