Sharpa T Whats It Worth

fergie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bike that I posted in best in show I paid $500 US dollars for. Stuck at least 3K into it. More my dumb mistakes, could do it for cheaper. Live and learn.

My friends ask what it the bike worth now and my answer is about 2K ^_^

it would be worth considerably more in spain where all things twin shock are coverted. I watch some of the twinshock Spanish trials on Youtube and the bikes of all makes are works of art and ridden very very well.

PS our spanish friends do like to travel and or buy unseen so a punt on spanish internet sites might be rewarding.

Not even close. Very rough bike. Maybe $500 to $600 Canadian.
Thats what I told him and he got very p****d off. He now tells me its got a new $260 tire ,new brake cable, and new tomesseli bars. and runs beautiful. cosmetically I think it looks poor but I have not seen the bike in person. its about a 40 miniut drive away. unless he comes down in price I think I'll pass. being a 72 would this bike be a 250 or 350? also what model is this? Edited by fergie

Thats what I told him and he got very p****d off. He now tells me its got a new $260 tire ,new brake cable, and new tomesseli bars

I bet is has brand new $8000 Titanium main bearings and $1000 ceramic brake pads. Also comes with a hot model girl friend at no charge.

I have to agree 5 to 600 bucks canadian is a good price. 1250 is excessive. The model looks like an M80 250cc built between 1971 to 73. It does have the very rare triangular muffler which are very hard to come by. Most people took them off and threw them away. Its one thing for someone to say it runs perfect and whether or not it does is another. Bultacos need proper spark, fuel delivery and compression. I would argue that the carb on that bike is worn thus causing poor running characteristics and needs replacing. If you are looking for a sherpa I highly recommend getting one that is built after 1973. The models to look for would be M150, M151, M158, M159, M182, M183, M190, M191, M198, M199, and M199A. The reason I say this is because starting in 1974 Bultaco started using chromoly steel for their frames which made them much lighter. Also the brake size changed to a smaller and lighter version that actually worked quite well compared to the model in the picture you posted. I live on the mainland and I have 3 sherpa T's. Either way you slice it you will fork out the money for the bike and then likely fork out money again to get it running properly. So if you spend 4 to 500 for a bike, expect to at least put another few hundred in to to get it to reliable running status. The consumables like points, condensor, cables, levers, fenders, tires, tubes, brakes are all easily available these days. Our dollar is very high right now so its a good time to buy up stuff from the states while it is at par.

Steve

Great info. I didn't realize that they used a different material for the frames in in 74. Something else to consider when buying. Thanks, Steve. By the way did you get my P.M.? I'm still interested in your 151, are you coming to the island anytime soon?also what are you asking for it? and do you have any pics? Jeffandsharlene@shaw.ca

Edited by fergie

That asking price works out at about 700 GBP. I know each market is different, but I would not consider that a bad price especially as the bike looks to be just about all there and would possibly take very little to restore.

In Spain well restored it could be worth much much more.

Ask him to take the rear tire off hehe... That's out of place!

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

From what I've seen the bikes in Europe go for alot more than over here. I think its over priced for Canada but i'm used to Yamaha ty prices. The guy is not returning my emails anyway so my initial suggestion of what the bike is worth must have p****d him off. oh well cheers, fergie.

Here's a '77 for sale out in Calgary.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-m...QAdIdZ164481211

Same year as mine (except I've got a 350 model). Conditon is about same as mine. This bike could use a cleaning. I think this particular one in its present condition should be in the $1800-2000 range. The bike looks solid. A good cleaning and detailing would really do this bike a favour. This bike looks like a better start to a restoration or a vintage competition bike as it looks to have been untouched through its life span.

Matt

Thanks for the lead Matt. a little too far for me though. A guy just emailed me with a 69 m49. great shape $1400. a little too old for me but maybe worth considering. I want to use it for the local twin shock class so a 69 might not be very competative. also I kinda want a project bike . it will probably cost me more in the end but the knowledge of the bike and the satisfaction that you revived it yourself would be very satisfying to me.

Edited by fergie

Are the 350 models 350cc or 325cc? also how much more power do the 350's have? I have heard the 250's were around 20hp? I need all the power I can get to haul my flabby 215lbs. ass around.

Edited by fergie

The 350's are actually 326cc's. The power output is the same as the 250 but they have alot more grunt off the bottom. I found that with the 250 I used 2nd gear in many sections whereas now with the bigger engine I use 1st. I'm 210 lbs and when I had a 250 it pulled me around no prob. I prefer the larger engine now though. Only problem I tend to have sometimes is the grunt will actually be too much and I get off line which in turn makes me dab more than I should. Just need to practice more.

Steve