Sharpa T Whats It Worth

fergie

My Clymer manual (1977 edition) rates the 250 at 14.1 hp @5500 and the 350 at 18.5 hp @8500. I never would have though that my Sherpa 350 was pushing 18 horse. Power transmission is super smooth and predictable. 1st or 2nd gear from a dead stop got me moving no problem (i weigh 190lbs). My speedometer is currently not working but I'd wager she'll top out close to 50mph too.

My Haines manual (72-75 model years) rates the 250 at 20 hp @5500 and the 350 at 21.5@5500.

Not sure if one is in error, or if hp numbers declined in the later part of the 70's.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is funny how people view the price of a motorcycle.

I have a Model 92 Sherpa T (350/well 326cc). I had it on craigslist and when I suggested $1,500 all interest would die. This is a good clean bike that I have ridden in a Trial this year and is ready to ride. Oh, well it doesn't take up much space in the garage.

Alan

:lol: Coming into this discussion Late , But that sure looks like a worn out KNOBBY back tire in the photo ... And what type of dirt bike tires cost That much anyways ... But if it runs decent it may be a great project bike , for a little less cash than he wants !

My two cents worth ...

Glenn

I think the photo he gave me is an older one. The tire has probably been replaced. I just got another email from him and he said he would lower the price if he takes all the new goodies off (tire and nice rim,new bars ect.) and swap them with the bike he is keeping. So he's going to put a bunch of worn out parts on that will have to be replaced right away and I'll be right back @ $1250.00! Glenn, I have heard that good radial trials tires in Canada go for about $200.00+ !!! Fergie.

Edited by fergie

It really is funny how people view the price of a motorcycle.

I have a Model 92 Sherpa T (350/well 326cc). I had it on craigslist and when I suggested $1,500 all interest would die. This is a good clean bike that I have ridden in a Trial this year and is ready to ride. Oh, well it doesn't take up much space in the garage.

Alan

As you can see here, demand drives the prices and thus the actual worth. If you want to sell that bike put it in for $1000 as is and hope you get it. To get $1500 you'd need new tires, new handlebar and complete exhaust, in my opinion. And the right buyer.

Vintage trials in the US is a super obscure sport, heck regular trials is pretty obscure.

Vintage trials in the US is a super obscure sport, heck regular trials is pretty obscure.

Ain't that the truth ... I'm currently wrenching at a little motorcycle shop (Until I start teaching this coming spring at a local tech. college ...) , And maybe 1 out of 100 people that come thru the shop/store and interrupt my work by asking questions about their riding lawn mower or something else , always ask what kind of bike I ride . And the explanation starts ... Very few have any grasp of what trials is . Always amazes me that self confessed motorcycle enthusiasts , that "have been riding and racing for years " Don't have a clue as to where the sport started . I mean am I wrong or isn't the scottish About the oldest form of motorized competition there is ?

Not to Derail the Bultaco thread or anything ...

Glenn

Ain't that the truth ... I'm currently wrenching at a little motorcycle shop (Until I start teaching this coming spring at a local tech. college ...) , And maybe 1 out of 100 people that come thru the shop/store and interrupt my work by asking questions about their riding lawn mower or something else , always ask what kind of bike I ride . And the explanation starts ... Very few have any grasp of what trials is . Always amazes me that self confessed motorcycle enthusiasts , that "have been riding and racing for years " Don't have a clue as to where the sport started . I mean am I wrong or isn't the scottish About the oldest form of motorized competition there is ?

Not to Derail the Bultaco thread or anything ...

Glenn

Well the "Scottish" started in 1909 as a Five day trial, so yes motorcycle trials have been going for over a 100 years as the Scottish wasn't the very first trial!

Big John

I think this is where some of the difference in perceived value comes from.

These bikes are not just seen as Trials bikes here in Europe, but also quite highly regarded classics.

I recall some recent bemusement over what a very rough but complete Model 10 Barn find made on UK ebay. Was it 3k+? Well thats one scarce model and most probably resides back in Spain again now.

Well Restored it's worth what? More than I could probably afford for sure!

Wayne....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry to hi-jack this thread - but seeing as you were discussing the value of Sherpas...

I'm just posting on here as I'm currently looking to sell my late fathers Bultaco Sherpa 350 (1978).

It needs restoration.

I am trying to get a handle on what it's worth - as I want to get the best deal I can for my mum.

I am NOT soliciting sales, I would just like some idea of value from enthusiasts as there are few un-restored bikes on the market right now and want to be able to sell the bike for a reasonable price.

Couple of pics linked to for info : Sherpa Photos

Any help greatly appreciated.

Gavin