Rev3 Headstock Bearing Replacement

twinkletoes

sure loads of you have done this before so just a quick question or 2...

been advised to take lower yoke and shaft (with old shot bearing still on) to an engineer with a press. is the shaft a press fit into the yoke? also been reliably advised that the lower clamp and shaft 'come as one' (ie when you need to buy another if you decide to brutalise the old bearing off and break the shaft) visually the shaft would appear a press fit.

how has anybody on here removed/replaced the old bearing? the engineering co. i will probably use have suggested cutting the old bearing off and pressing on the new one down the steering shaft, leaving the shaft in the yoke. sure this would work but is there a 'correct'/easier way of doing it?

also how did you manage to fit the corresponding bearing seat up into the underside of the headstock without damaginging either part?

cheers

Hi twincs

Take the rollers and cage off the bearing.Put the shaft in the vice and try to tease the bearing off the shaft.If it does not move use a grinder to cut a grove in the bearing but not the shaft.Put a chisel in the grove and give it a sharp knock with a hammer.Remember to put your safety gogles on.Bearing should crack and free off. Knock the old outer bearing out of headstock and use it to tap new outer bearing into headstock,watch your fingers.Good luck.It worked on my old techno.

cheers

Gday, press the old one off if you can. It removes almost any chance of damage. You can tell if the shaft comes out by looking for weld underneath. Few bikes are. I use the inner of the old bearing to press the shaft and new bearing back on (cut a slot in the side of the old one with a grinder to make it easier to get off afterwards), and the old cups to tap in the new cups.

Most important is to pack them correctly - just wiping grease around the outside is not enough. You need to get a handfull of grease in your palm, and "wipe" the new bearing's edge into the grease which will push the grease into the cage and between the rollers. Keep going until you see grease coming out the other side, and turn the bearing a bit and repeat until you have it all the way around. I also like to pack a good dollop around the top of the lower bearing to help keep water out of it. Grease the cups and you are ready to go. Adjust them firm firstly with a spanner, and then back off till loose and retighten by hand until all freeplay is gone and no more. My Techno uses stock off-the-shelf tapered rollers which are the same as your I think, much cheaper from your local bearing supplier.

Cheers,

Stork

Hi guys,

I have just done my headstock bearings. I cut the old lower bearing from the shaft very carefully with a grinder.

To get the new one on i put the shaft and yoke in the freezer for the night and gently warmed the new one. It went on very easily no knocking or anything straight down to its position. I packed this with grease in place.

The new cups go in quite easily by, again some very gentle heat onto the place they need to go then carefully tapping them in with a piece of wood to protect them from the hammer. The wood also helps to keep them square as they slide in.

Probably not the right way but it has worked for me.

Hope this helps.