Conducted Trial

littleoneben

Hi All

Having recently read in the advert for Oset about 4yr olds being allowed to run on these bikes under new ACU rules, I was wondering if any clubs have taken this up. I am based in Devon and have just bought a 16 36v and a 12.5 for my 4 boys to practice on. My boys are between 6 and 1 (may be a short while before the 1yr old rides one).

Also do they need ACU approved helmets or are cycle helmets Ok. Also does anyone know how clubs generally feel about them following you around between sections (once they are competant on the bikes).

Sorry for all the questions, but getting back into trials after a 20ish yr lay off.

Many thanks

Andy

Edited by Littleoneben

Sorry, I was a bit slow there. I've found it now.

TRIALS STANDING REGULATIONS

TSR 1 now to read as follows -:

Eligibility/Licensing

All riders and passengers must hold a current ACU Trials Registration / Membership card or a SACU licence. Any rider or passenger from another FMN MUST produce a licence issued by their FMN together with start permission and proof of personal accident Insurance.

Where the Trial includes the use of public highways, then this will be stated in the Supplementary Regulations. If public highways are used then it is the sole responsibility of the rider to ensure that their machine is roadworthy and that they and their machine comply with all legal requirements.

RIDERS AGE

a) Adult riders: A rider must be at least 16 years of age to participate as an Adult. Sidecar drivers and/or passengers under 16 years of age, but subject to a minimum age of 14, may be allowed to compete in Adult events subject to the discretion of the Trials and Enduro Committee.

b) Youth Riders: A rider must be at least 4 years of age to participate on a restricted Electric powered machine and 6 years of age to participate in a trial using a combustion engine machine. They may continue to ride as a Youth until the end of the calendar year that he reaches 17 years of age. A rider who has reached 16 years but who is eligible as stated above to continue as a Youth may ride either as an Adult or as a Youth and alternate between them unless they choose to compete in the Adult British Solo Trials Championship.

Class E Pre-Cadet Electric class -Minimum age 4 years at the date of the

competition and born after 01.01.04

Class D Cadets born between 01.01.2001 and 31.12.03

Class C Juniors born between 01.01.98 and 31.12. 00

Class B Inters born between 01.01.95 and 31.12.97

Class A Seniors born between 01.01.93 and 31.12.94

ENGINE CAPACITY CLASSES: The maximum engine capacity permitted for machines used in the age groups set out in this Regulation are as follows:

CLASS A 125cc

CLASS B 125cc

CLASS C 80cc class

CLASS D** 50cc mono/80cc T/shock Electric up to 1000 watts

CLASS E Electric powered machines up to 750 watts

** D Class Wheel sizes

Small wheel - Max 50cc Mono or 80cc Twinshock (fitted as original equipment)/Electric

up to 1000 watts

Wheel size - Max 16" Front 14" Rear

a) Medium wheel - Max 50cc Mono or 80cc Twinshock (fitted as original equipment)/Electric up to 1000 watts

Wheel size - Max 19" Front 17" Rear

Standard rebores are permitted subject to the resulting engine capacity not exceeding a tolerance of +3cc. NB. Any changes to the age groups and/or capacity classes will have at least 12 months notice and be effective from January of any year.

Criteria for riders wishing to ride in any higher class:

no club is going to be happy with any rider been 'followed' by children on motorcycles. trials are competitions and motorsport is dangerous therefore any and all trials venues are dangerous places whilst a trial is taking place. the issues arising should any person be involved in any accident in such circumstances are enourmous and i suspect that all motor clubs will say no.

conducted trials for kids are a great enviroment for young ones to learn to ride whilst supervised by competant people and if the lids are old enough and the bikes eligble then you would be welcomed with open arms and the kids will love it..

As the Clerk of the Course for a number of club trials, I would accept and entry from a youth rider on an electric trials bike providing they hold the relevant trials registration. My five year old would enjoy filling in the entry form whith her best colouring crayons :D

In fact, being a little more sensible for a moment, if a rider of this age (or their parent) contacts me prior to the event, I will be happy to set out a suitable route for them to ride. :o Now there's an offer Mum's & Dad's! :wall:

Pete

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I think I will put my return on hold for a while and concentrate on the boys for a while. I have been in touch with a couple of local clubs, so hopefully something will come of that.

You never know I may even be kind and fill in the paperwork for them :o

Edited by Littleoneben

In New England we have a pretty good youth trials scene. We keep our youngest trials competitors away from the adult loop, even though they pay an entry fee. AFAIK, everyone on an Oset rides in the Youth class for which we set up a separate loop and sections. When kids get big enough and skilled enough, they transition to a 50cc gas bike and move up to Rookie class which uses the same loop and sections as the adult Novice loop, but with dedicated easy splits in the sections. AFAIK, we don't allow any spectators on bikes, so if you swing your leg over a bike during the event you are either a competitor, a minder, or a worker.

Here are some pics of our Youth class:

http://newenglandtrials.org/Coppermine/thu...ls.php?album=20

Edited by fastducs

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the ACU today and they confirmed that riders aged 4 - 6 years old can apply for a conducted course trials registration. The current application form does not show this class as they were printed prior to the descision being made, however riders can still use this form to aply for the new class.

The ACU also tell me that all the necessary details WILL be included in the 2010 hand book which will be out soon.

My five year old has applied for her 'licence' this evening, the tricky bit was getting her to sign her name in the box.

Trouble is, she expects to get out on her bike and practice every day now!