Resizing, Quality?

Guest gasgastxtpro

Guest gasgastxtpro

Hello all,

My camera has 4 image modes; 1 mega 2 mega 3 mega normal and 3 mega fine.

If i take a picture using 3 mega fine to ge tthe best quality image, and then resize it using software, does it lose quality.

This maybe a stupid questionbut im not sure.

Help greatly appreciated

Rich

Hello all,

My camera has 4 image modes; 1 mega 2 mega 3 mega normal and 3 mega fine.

If i take a picture using 3 mega fine to ge tthe best quality image, and then resize it using software, does it lose quality.

This maybe a stupid questionbut im not sure.

Help greatly appreciated

Rich

Hi,

Some hints/tips:-

Media is cheap these days....so always, always, always shoot with your camera set to the largest & finest detail.

If you use software to "downsize" a photo then you will lose pixels, i.e. you'll lose information and detail from the photo. Now, this is not to say you will necessarily lose "quality".......but I suspect you mean "detail". So the answer is yes.

However, you may be thinking that since you always downsize then why not use a lower resolution in the first place straight out the camera.......and save yourself some room?

The answer is that most of the PC software you get these days are much better at down-sizing than the camera in-built software.

In addition, you may find you want to crop a larger photo, or process it in some way (like sharpening).....and those functions are always best done on the largest and finest detail pic out the camera you can get....then re-size after.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

make sure you always save the original without any file compression before you decide to edit, some photos only ever come once no matter how good or bad your equipment is! :) after editing make sure you save with minimum file compression, because each subsequent save will reduce image quality. any photo is always better than none at all so try and keep it. and dont forget if you spend to much time with the camera you arent riding your bike :)

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget that when you resize your image down, keep the dpi ( print/output)resolution at a max of 300 dpi , your prints will come out fine at this res ( the industry standard is about 286 dpi( at profesional labs) so 300 dpi means you can easily print your images back up from say 6x4 to 10x8.

hope this helps a ittle.

Also, as others have said, get as much information in your camera ( high meg taking format) every time if you intend to print anything in the future.