Wheel Repair

houseape1000

I noticed that my front rim has a few little cracks on the edge, and was wondering if it could be welded. Are they aluminium, or ?. Or do I leave it be...?

I don't want to fork out for a new rim, and was cosidering painting them anyway, with Plastikote Black......or is there another type of paint thats ideal for this.

I could get them powder coated without removing the spokes, they just bake them at a lower temp and the masking tape doesn't burn off.

Also, my rear disc is a bit thin, and wondered where to get one from......so far my searches are fruitless.

My rear brake isn't very good, but I don't know how good it should be, Theres plenty of oil in it and no air, could it be the seals, or should I replace the fluid first, and go from there.......Ive just put new pads in it, and was expecting the rear to be pretty good, cos the front is !

Cheers,

Andy.

Gday, as far as your brakes go if you have recently fitted new pads it will take a little while for the new ones to bed in, so give it some time before doing anything else. Bledding etc wont help unless the pedal is spongy. For your whell, you will most likely be better off stripping it down for any type of repair. If the cracks are small and just at the edge of the rim it may be better to just monitor them for the time being and see if they get larger. Welding would be possible and painting or powder coating may hide a potential big problem later.

Cheers,

Stork